1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Null set minus null set

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    What is ∅-∅ equal to?
    Logically this is represented as the set containing all x such that x[itex]\in[/itex]∅ and x[itex]\notin[/itex]∅. I am confused on how to interpret this...I think the answer would just be the null set, but I am not sure. Could someone please clarify this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2
    Think of the subtraction of sets as the intersection of the one with the complement of the other. That is ∅[itex]\cap[/itex] ∅[itex]^{c}[/itex]

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

There is no ##x## for which ##x \in \emptyset## and ##x \notin \emptyset##, so there are no elements in ##\emptyset - \emptyset##.

5. Oct 3, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Makes me think of the song quite a few years back, "Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin." - Billy Preston, 1975

6. Oct 3, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Great post, Mark !

7. Oct 3, 2012 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

:approve:

8. Oct 3, 2012 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is exactly right. It may help to simplify that logical expression, because you can, for example, replace [itex]x \in \emptyset[/itex] with a truth value.

Or maybe slightly reorganizing it to the fact that

x is in ∅-∅​

is synonymous with

x[itex]\in[/itex]∅ and x[itex]\notin[/itex]∅​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook