Nullspace of Matrix H: Proving Basis with Independent Rows

In summary: However, in summary, you were able to correctly identify a basis for the nullspace of H, which is a vector space of x satisfying Hx=0. The original problem was incorrect and did not provide enough information about working in mod 2.
Beam me down
Note: I don't know LaTeX that well, hence I have done my working in the images.

Homework Statement

Show that the rows of G are a basis for the null space of H (part of this question will be to show the independence explicitly).

http://img.skitch.com/20090415-f6gewnam8bq6m971y9s7cam55q.preview.jpg
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Homework Equations

Nullspace of H is the vector space of x, in which Hx=0. Basis is set of independent vectors that define this space.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img.skitch.com/20090415-reqmbp49jacrhkme1886t1j5sx.jpg

http://img.skitch.com/20090415-gwtu1hpgep9aun89isp16jxhwn.jpg

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rows of the vector G given in the problem statement are not in the nullspace of H. Your first attempt correctly identified a basis for the nullspace. The original problem is wrong.

The question was right, elsewhere it mentioned that the work was in mod2.

You REALLY should have said it was mod 2. Omitting that is actually criminal. There is no difference between -1 and +1 mod 2. Hence why are you complaining about sign changes?

I was complaining when I did not realize I was working in mod 2. I only saw it was mod 2 after re-reading the question again and again.

Ok, your complaint is shared. The question should have been more clearly stated.

What is the nullspace of a matrix?

The nullspace of a matrix is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in a zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the equation Ax=0, where A is the matrix and x is a vector.

How do you find the nullspace of a matrix?

To find the nullspace of a matrix, you can use the row reduction method or the nullspace algorithm. The row reduction method involves transforming the matrix into reduced row echelon form and identifying the pivot columns. The nullspace algorithm involves finding the basis for the nullspace by finding the vectors that correspond to the free variables in the row reduced form of the matrix.

What is the dimension of the nullspace of a matrix?

The dimension of the nullspace of a matrix is equal to the number of free variables in the row reduced form of the matrix. In other words, it is equal to the number of columns in the matrix minus the rank of the matrix.

What is the significance of the nullspace of a matrix?

The nullspace of a matrix is important in linear algebra because it gives us information about the solutions to a system of linear equations. It can also be used to find a basis for the column space of a matrix and to determine whether a matrix is invertible.

How is the nullspace of a matrix related to eigenvectors?

The nullspace of a matrix is related to eigenvectors in that the nullspace contains all the eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue of 0. This means that if a matrix has a nullspace of dimension n, it will have at least n eigenvectors with an eigenvalue of 0.