Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nullspace of mxn matrix

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know how to approach this problem?

Let A be an m×n matrix of rank m, where m<n. Pick a point x in R^n, and let x∗ be the point in the nullspace of A closest to x. Write a formula for x∗ in terms of x and A.

What exactly is the significance of the point x* in the nullspace of A?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    i think this question has something to do with the orthogonality of subspaces and is analogous to saying the shortest distance between a point and an axis is just a perpendicular line...

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3
    >> What exactly is the significance of the point x* in the nullspace of A?

So, Ax* = 0 which is basically what it means by x* being in the nullspace of A. x* is a vector which multiplies A to take it to 0.

I think it has something to do with the least square solution for linear systems.

5. Nov 23, 2009 #4
    I think you should think of the solution in terms of the projection of x onto the nullspace of A, which would be x*.

This is simply given by A*(A'A)-1*A'*x. Sorry, I am not fluent with latex.

A' = transpose of A.
    -1 = inverse
    * = multiplication

Refer to the Strang book on least square and projection of vectors onto the column space of a a matrix.

6. Nov 23, 2009 #5
    We know that the row space is in [tex]R^{n}[/tex] and that it is orthogonal to the null space.

Imagine that we have a 2x3 matrix with rank 2. It's row space would be a plane in [tex]R^{3}[/tex], and it's null space a line perpendicular to that plane. If we pick a point [tex]x[/tex] in that plane, wouldn't the point closest to the null space be that same point x?

I'm eagerly awaiting someone to help us out :)

7. Nov 23, 2009 #6
    ^^ i think you're on the right track, dafe.

i think an analogy to this problem is, what is the shortest distance between a point in the xy plane and the x axis. it's just a line perpendicular to the x-axis.

so in the context of the problem i asked, it's like...the dot product between the point x and...the row space? something like that...

8. Nov 23, 2009 #7
    ok, some help:

1) set this up with a variable (btw, better to call the starting point x0 rather than x, since it is fixed), an objective function and a set of equality constraints. Write them down. You should replace the objective function by something nicer: for example no square roots, since to apply Lagrange you need a differentiable function.
    2) show geometrically in terms of the level sets of the objective function and the tangent space of the constraints that the vector x0 - x* is perpendicular to the null space.
    3) form the Lagrangian. solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook