1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number fields

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a sequence of extension fields (i.e. tower)
    Q= F[tex]_{0}[/tex][tex]\subseteq[/tex].......[tex]\subseteq[/tex]F[tex]_{n}[/tex].

where [tex]\sqrt{1+\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{5}}[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] F[tex]_{n}[/tex]

Prove that all the steps are non-trivial. except the last one. btw Q is the set of rational number. and 0 and n on F were meant to be subscripts not superscripts (i dont know how to do that)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm a bit confused as to what to do in this question? I dont think I understand the question.[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "trivial" step is [itex]F_1= Q(\sqrt{1})[/itex] since [itex]\sqrt{1}= 1[/itex] which already is a rational number. Take [itex]F_2= F_1(\sqrt{2})= Q_(\sqrt{2})[/itex], [itex]F_3= F_2(\sqrt{3})[/itex], etc.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    ok i think i got it, can anyone please check my answer

K_0 = 2 which corresponds to F_0
    K_1= 1 + [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] for F_1
    K_2= 1 + [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] for F_2
    K_3= 1 + [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] for F_3
    K_4= [tex]\sqrt{1+\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{5}}[/tex] for F_4

except the last one is supposed to go on forever? can anyone help me in this.

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your original question did not "go on forever", it stopped at [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook