Are All Points on a Sphere Considered Dimensions?

• B
  • Thread starter tommy payne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dimension in relation to a sphere and how it applies to quantum physics. It is noted that a sphere is a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space and that a plane is considered two-dimensional, with the concept of a "hyperplane" being one-dimensional less than the space it is in. The individual asking the question clarifies that they are not a physicist and apologizes for posting in the wrong forum.
tommy payne
I don't have a degree in Physics but studied it in secondary school and I was wondering , Can each point on a sphere be classed as another dimension in relative comparison to like a 1 dimension plane ,two dimension plane ect. ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mathematically, a sphere is a two-dimensional surface embedded in three-dimensional space. But, what has this to do with Quantum Physics?

I'm not an actual physicist and put the question up in the wrong thread and but I thought a Quantum Physicist might be able to answer me . Sorry for my postint in the wrong forum.

tommy payne said:
I don't have a degree in Physics but studied it in secondary school and I was wondering , Can each point on a sphere be classed as another dimension in relative comparison to like a 1 dimension plane ,two dimension plane ect. ?
A plane, by definition is two dimensional, although in linear algebra there is a concept of a "hyperplane," an object of dimension one less than the space it is in. A line is one dimensional.

Last edited:
Maybe plane was the wrong word to say , dimension would be the most appropriate word to say maybe .

What is the concept of "Number of actual dimensions"?

The concept of "Number of actual dimensions" refers to the number of independent directions or axes that are required to fully describe a system or object. In the context of physics and mathematics, the number of actual dimensions is typically used to describe the spatial dimensions of an object or the dimensions of a mathematical space.

How many dimensions are there in the physical world?

It is generally accepted that there are three dimensions in the physical world: length, width, and height. These dimensions are commonly referred to as the x, y, and z axes. However, some theories in physics propose the existence of additional dimensions, such as string theory which suggests the existence of 10 or 11 dimensions.

What is the difference between actual dimensions and theoretical dimensions?

The actual dimensions of an object or system are the dimensions that are physically measurable and observable. Theoretical dimensions, on the other hand, are dimensions that are postulated or hypothesized in a theoretical framework, but may not have direct physical evidence or measurement to support them. Theoretical dimensions are often used in scientific theories to explain phenomena that cannot be fully understood using only the actual dimensions.

Can the number of actual dimensions change?

In most cases, the number of actual dimensions of a system or object is fixed and does not change. However, there are some theories, such as superstring theory, that suggest the number of dimensions in the universe can change depending on the energy level or scale at which the system is observed. This concept is known as dimensional reduction.

How do scientists study and understand the dimensions of the universe?

Scientists study and understand the dimensions of the universe through various methods, including observations, experiments, and mathematical models. They use tools such as telescopes, particle accelerators, and mathematical equations to explore and measure the dimensions of the universe and gain a better understanding of its structure and behavior.