Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Number of actual dimensions

1. Apr 2, 2017 #1
    I don't have a degree in Physics but studied it in secondary school and I was wondering , Can each point on a sphere be classed as another dimension in relative comparison to like a 1 dimension plane ,two dimension plane ect. ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mathematically, a sphere is a two-dimensional surface embedded in three-dimensional space. But, what has this to do with Quantum Physics?

4. Apr 2, 2017 #3
    I'm not an actual physicist and put the question up in the wrong thread and but I thought a Quantum Physicist might be able to answer me . Sorry for my postint in the wrong forum.

5. Apr 2, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A plane, by definition is two dimensional, although in linear algebra there is a concept of a "hyperplane," an object of dimension one less than the space it is in. A line is one dimensional.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  6. Apr 2, 2017 #5
    Maybe plane was the wrong word to say , dimension would be the most appropriate word to say maybe .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted