Exploring the Relationship Between Axiom Count and Theory Validity

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of a theory and its axioms. It is questioned whether a theory can have less than three axioms and whether three is the minimum for a theory to make sense. The statement "The less axioms, the more abstract the theory, the more facts will fit" is debated and the relationship between the number of axioms and the number of contradictions in a theory is discussed. The conversation also touches on the topic of philosophy and its relation to mathematics. Ultimately, it is concluded that an axiom is a statement that is defined to be true and discussions about philosophy are not permitted in this forum.
Fabrizio
I've been asking myself a few questions lately regarding the nature of a theory. It can be any type of theory. I hope someone can answer these to a degree. The questions are:
  1. Can a theory have less than three axioms? Is three the minimum for a theory to make sense?
  2. Is the statement "The less axioms, the more abstract the theory, the more facts will fit" true ?
  3. How does the number of axioms relate to the number of contradictions that may appear within the theory?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fabrizio said:
1a. Can a theory have less than three axioms?
Yes, I present "the zero theory":
  • Axiom 0: 0 is a natural number.
Fabrizio said:
1b. Is three the minimum for a theory to make sense?
I don't think you could say that the zero theory doesn't make sense, but it is not very interesting. So perhaps you want to ask "is three the minimum for a theory to be interesting?". For that question to have any meaning you would have to define "interesting", and that is a matter of philosophy not mathematics. We don't discuss philosophy in these forums.

Fabrizio said:
2. Is the statement "The less axioms, the more abstract the theory, the more facts will fit" true?
Again that requires a definition of "abstract"... however I think that the opposite of "the more facts will fit" is true - how many facts fit the zero theory?

Fabrizio said:
3. How does the number of axioms relate to the number of contradictions that may appear within the theory?
If you can find any contradictions (i.e. a statement for which both the statement and its negation can be proved true from the axioms) then the axiomatic system is inconsistent and would not be called a theory.

LOL, you're a robot. I guess i had to ask the questions on a philosophy forum because I meant a philosophical theory. Besides; The statement that zero is a natural number is a matter of dispute, even in such a "precise" field like mathematics.

MrAnchovy said:
If you can find any contradictions (i.e. a statement for which both the statement and its negation can be proved true from the axioms) then the axiomatic system is inconsistent and would not be called a theory.

I think I heard that if you can find one contradiction then you can disprove all the statements you can prove in that theory - is this right?

Last edited:
Fabrizio said:
Besides; The statement that zero is a natural number is a matter of dispute, even in such a "precise" field like mathematics.
An axiom is a statement that is defined to be true, it is not something that can be disputed.

Likes DrewD
Fabrizio said:
LOL, you're a robot. I guess i had to ask the questions on a philosophy forum because I meant a philosophical theory.
Discussions about philosophy aren't permitted at this forum.

Mark44 said:
Discussions about philosophy aren't permitted at this forum.

There we have very nice example of reductio ad absurdam. :oldbiggrin:

I think we need a Logician that is an expert of Theories & Formal Systems to answer this question ... :smile: If the question is pertinent in a math forum I don't know ...

epenguin said:
I think I heard that if you can find one contradiction then you can disprove all the statements you can prove in that theory - is this right?
Once you have a contradiction, everything falls apart like this:
  • Let the contradiction be expressed thus: (A is a theorem of S) (Theorem 1) and ((not A) is a theorem of S) (Theorem 2).
  • Now for any well defined statement B, we have by Theorem 1 ((A or B) is a theorem of S) (Theorem 3) and also ((A or (not B) is a theorem of S) (Theorem 4).
  • By Theorem 2 and Theorem 3, (B is a theorem of S) (Theorem 5).
  • By Theorem 2 and Theorem 4 ((not B) is a theorem of S) (Theorem 6).
So if we have a contradiction, any statement and its inverse can both be proved.

epenguin said:
There we have very nice example of reductio ad absurdam. :oldbiggrin:

Have you just proven we don't exi...(poof) :oldbiggrin:

Likes pbuk and epenguin

1. What is the significance of the number of axioms in a theory?

The number of axioms in a theory represents the minimum set of assumptions or principles that are required to build the theory. It is an essential component of any logical system and reflects the foundational principles upon which the theory is built.

2. How many axioms are usually needed for a theory?

The number of axioms required for a theory can vary greatly depending on the complexity and scope of the theory. Some theories may only require a few axioms, while others may require a larger set of axioms to fully explain and support the theory.

3. Can a theory have an infinite number of axioms?

Technically, a theory can have an infinite number of axioms, but it is not practical or necessary. The purpose of axioms is to provide a solid foundation for a theory, and having too many axioms can make the theory overly complex and difficult to understand or apply.

4. How do you determine the right number of axioms for a theory?

The number of axioms for a theory is determined by a combination of logical reasoning and empirical evidence. A good theory should have the smallest number of axioms necessary to explain and predict a phenomenon, while still being logically consistent and supported by evidence.

5. Can the number of axioms for a theory change over time?

Yes, the number of axioms for a theory can change as new evidence is discovered or as the theory is refined. As our understanding of a phenomenon evolves, the axioms may need to be modified or expanded to better explain and predict the phenomenon.