1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of axioms for a theory

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1
    I've been asking myself a few questions lately regarding the nature of a theory. It can be any type of theory. I hope someone can answer these to a degree. The questions are:
    1. Can a theory have less than three axioms? Is three the minimum for a theory to make sense?
    2. Is the statement "The less axioms, the more abstract the theory, the more facts will fit" true ?
    3. How does the number of axioms relate to the number of contradictions that may appear within the theory?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2015 #2
    Yes, I present "the zero theory":
    • Axiom 0: 0 is a natural number.
    I don't think you could say that the zero theory doesn't make sense, but it is not very interesting. So perhaps you want to ask "is three the minimum for a theory to be interesting?". For that question to have any meaning you would have to define "interesting", and that is a matter of philosophy not mathematics. We don't discuss philosophy in these forums.

Again that requires a definition of "abstract"... however I think that the opposite of "the more facts will fit" is true - how many facts fit the zero theory?

If you can find any contradictions (i.e. a statement for which both the statement and its negation can be proved true from the axioms) then the axiomatic system is inconsistent and would not be called a theory.

4. Sep 19, 2015 #3
    LOL, you're a robot. I guess i had to ask the questions on a philosophy forum because I meant a philosophical theory. Besides; The statement that zero is a natural number is a matter of dispute, even in such a "precise" field like mathematics.

5. Sep 19, 2015 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think I heard that if you can find one contradiction then you can disprove all the statements you can prove in that theory - is this right?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  6. Sep 19, 2015 #5
    An axiom is a statement that is defined to be true, it is not something that can be disputed.

7. Sep 20, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Discussions about philosophy aren't permitted at this forum.

8. Sep 20, 2015 #7

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There we have very nice example of reductio ad absurdam. :oldbiggrin:

9. Sep 20, 2015 #8

Ssnow

Gold Member

I think we need a Logician that is an expert of Theories & Formal Systems to answer this question ... :smile: If the question is pertinent in a math forum I don't know ...

10. Sep 20, 2015 #9
    Once you have a contradiction, everything falls apart like this:
    • Let the contradiction be expressed thus: (A is a theorem of S) (Theorem 1) and ((not A) is a theorem of S) (Theorem 2).
    • Now for any well defined statement B, we have by Theorem 1 ((A or B) is a theorem of S) (Theorem 3) and also ((A or (not B) is a theorem of S) (Theorem 4).
    • By Theorem 2 and Theorem 3, (B is a theorem of S) (Theorem 5).
    • By Theorem 2 and Theorem 4 ((not B) is a theorem of S) (Theorem 6).
    So if we have a contradiction, any statement and its inverse can both be proved.

11. Sep 20, 2015 #10

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Have you just proven we don't exi...(poof) :oldbiggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook