Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of choice functions?

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    Is the following a theorem from ZFC?
    Given a collection C of non-empty sets that includes at least one infinite set, the cardinality of the collection of distinct choice functions on C (as defined in AC) equals the cardinality of the largest element of C.
    My feeling that this is true is from generalizing the case when the largest cardinality is [itex]\aleph[/itex]0, where it seems that a simple proof is possible, but I am not sure whether it is true and, if so, provable (from ZFC) for higher cardinalities.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2
    Won't the claim fail when the cardinality of C is greater than the cardinality of the largest element of C?

That is, if C is a collection of aleph1 sets of aleph0 elements, there will be at least aleph1 choice functions.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3
    yossell, thanks for the answer. Good point. So, if I were to amend it, would the theorem be that the number of choice functions is max (|C|, |S|) with S being a set with the largest cardinality? Whereas this seems intuitively clear, is it provable in ZFC?

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Given sets ##(X_i)_{i\in I}##, what you want is the cardinality of

[tex]\prod_{i\in I} X_i[/tex]

For convenience, we set ##I## to be equal to a cardinal number, so we put ##I = |I| = \lambda##. It is a theorem in ZFC that if ##\lambda## is infinite and if ##|X_i|## are nondecreasing and nonzero, then

[tex]\prod_{i<\lambda} |X_i| = (\sup_{i<\lambda} |X_i| )^\lambda[/tex]

See "Set Theory" by Jech for a proof.

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5
    Thanks, micromass. Lemma 5.9, to be exact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook