Number of circles within a circle

In summary, there is an infinite number of circles within a circle as long as the radius of the smaller circles is between 0 and the radius of the larger circle. This can be seen by representing a disk and a circle as sets of points on a Cartesian plane.
Rade
There are an infinite number of radii within any given circle, are there also an infinite number of circles within a circle as shown in the attached image ?

Attachments

• imagesCA2ALJVE.jpg
    imagesCA2ALJVE.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 533
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rade said:
There are an infinite number of radii within any given circle, are there also an infinite number of circles within a circle as shown in the attached image ?

Given a radius R, there is an infinite number of 0 < r < R, so the answer is yes. I can't see the attachment though, but there is no way to display that. Non-formally speaking, you could be talking about a shaded disk of radius R, I guess. :biggrin:

Rade said:

Seems like an analogous question to "Are there an infinite number of discrete points between 0 and 1 on the number line?" Is there something special about the circle aspect of this question?

radou said:
Given a radius R, there is an infinite number of 0 < r < R, so the answer is yes. I can't see the attachment though, but there is no way to display that. Non-formally speaking, you could be talking about a shaded disk of radius R, I guess. :biggrin:
I can see the attachment fine--are you still having problem ?

berkeman said:
Seems like an analogous question to "Are there an infinite number of discrete points between 0 and 1 on the number line?" Is there something special about the circle aspect of this question?
:confused: Don't know, that is why I ask. Consider that 0 and 1 that serve as limits in your example are similar limits in that they are both integers, but in the circle example it is not clear to me that both limits are similar.

Rade said:
I can see the attachment fine--are you still having problem ?

It takes an average of a few minutes for the Staff and Mentors to see that there is an attachment awaiting approval. Once I saw it and approved it, everybody can see it. radou just viewed your post before I approved it.

And about the number line thing -- are you familiar with how limits work in a finite section of the number line? A related topic would be Zeno's (sp?) paradox, for example.

BTW, is this a homework problem? We should move it to the homework forums if it is.

There are an infinite number of circles if the perimeter has "no" width and the distances between the radii are zero. ie A Shaded Disk.

berkeman said:
BTW, is this a homework problem
No it is not.

Gib Z said:
There are an infinite number of circles if the perimeter has "no" width and the distances between the radii are zero. ie A Shaded Disk.
Neither of these constraints apply--see the figure in post #1--perimeter has width, not a shaded disk.

Rade said:
Neither of these constraints apply--see the figure in post #1--perimeter has width, not a shaded disk.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, but if each of the 'circles' is actually an object with nonzero area (say, the set of all points within 0.001 units of a circle) then only finitely many can fit into the (large) circle without overlapping, since the area of a circle is finite.

Rade said:

Well yes, that's why there isn't an infinite number of circles...

CRGreatHouse- The circles I specify for an infinite amount are not existent, just mathematical with the area between the circles zero.

CRGreathouse said:
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, but if each of the 'circles' is actually an object with nonzero area (say, the set of all points within 0.001 units of a circle) then only finitely many can fit into the (large) circle without overlapping, since the area of a circle is finite.
OK, but there would be an infinite number if the perimeter of added circles "has no width"--in the same way that there are an infinite number of radii (without width) in a circle--correct ?

Rade said:
OK, but there would be an infinite number if the perimeter of added circles "has no width"--in the same way that there are an infinite number of radii (without width) in a circle--correct ?

Yes, certainly. There's a circle for every real number between 0 and the outer radius.

Rade said:
A disk of some radius R≥0 can be thought of as {(x,y) : 0≤x2+y2≤R2}

A circle with a radius r≥0 can be thought of as {(x,y) : x2+y2=r2}

As you can see,
[tex]\left\{ {\left( {x,y} \right):x^2 + y^2 = r^2 } \right\} \subset \left\{ {\left( {x,y} \right):0 \leqslant x^2 + y^2 \leqslant R^2 } \right\}{\text{ if }}0 \leqslant r \leqslant R[/tex]

If R>0, there is an infinite quantity of distinct r that satisfy 0≤r≤R;
thus, there is an infinite quantity of distinct circles within a disk of radius R>0.

Last edited:
Bomba923--thank you very much for the time and clarity of your answer--what I would expect from the mathematics section of this forum.

What is the formula for finding the number of circles within a circle?

The formula for finding the number of circles within a circle is n = r², where n represents the number of circles that can fit within the larger circle and r represents the radius of the circles.

What is the relationship between the radius of the smaller circles and the radius of the larger circle?

The radius of the smaller circles is equal to half the radius of the larger circle. This means that the diameter of the smaller circles will be equal to the radius of the larger circle.

How do you determine the number of circles within a circle if the radius of the smaller circles is not given?

If the radius of the smaller circles is not given, the number of circles within a circle can still be calculated by using the formula n = r² and substituting the diameter of the smaller circles for the radius.

Is there a limit to the number of circles that can fit within a circle?

No, there is no limit to the number of circles that can fit within a circle. As the radius of the smaller circles decreases, the number of circles that can fit within the larger circle increases.

What is the practical application of knowing the number of circles within a circle?

Knowing the number of circles within a circle can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and design. It can help in calculating the distribution of objects within a given space, designing patterns, and understanding geometric relationships.