Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of classical bits to transmit with quantum state

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    Hello dear Physicists,

in my quantum communication class we dealt with dense coding recently. There we also discussed the super-dense coding protocol. For the used Bell-states the possible classical bits one could possibly encode with one state were 2.
    Following the protocol it is evident, but is there also a direct way of seeing that the maximum is 2? Using Shannon or Neumann? As far as I get up to now, we could only measure how entangled the states are with Neumann...

A more involved side-project that popped up during class was to find how many bits could be communicated with the following state

[itex] \Psi = 0.5 [ \left(|0>_A - |1>_A + \sqrt{2}|2>_A\right)|0>_B - \left(|0>_A + |1>_A + \sqrt{2}|2>_A\right)|1>_B][/itex]

Using the basis [itex] |\pm> = |0> \pm |1> [/itex] for system B I diagonalized the state (although it looks weird):

[itex] \Psi = 1/2\left( |->_B |0>_A - |+>_B|1>_A + \sqrt(2) |->_B |2>_A \right) [/itex]

But how to see from there how many classical bits one could possibly transmit. I am really lost. It was one of these statements: It is easy to see that this state can be used for Dense Coding, due to the non-trivial Schmidt coefficients. Well, the matrix to diagonalize would be first of all rectangular....

I think I am throwing everything a bit together...,
    hence if anyone knows how to solve these issues I would be grateful if one would post it :).

have a good one,
    spookyfw

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted