1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of degrees of freedom in the sigma estimate

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have estimated the standard deviation of the population of my samples from the standard deviations from each of the samples with the equation found below. And I am to construct a confidence interval for a contrast, thus I will need the number of degrees of freedom for which the estimate of the standard deviation is based on. And I really can't tell!

2. Relevant equations
    The estimation of the standard deviation is given by
    [tex]\sigma=\sqrt{\frac{N_{X}(\sigma_{X}^{2}+\mu_{X}^{2})+N_{Y}(\sigma_{Y}^{2}+\mu_{Y}^{2})}{N_{X}+N_{Y}}-\mu^{2}_{XY}},[/tex]
    where [tex]N_{X}, N_{Y}, \mu_{X}, \mu_{Y}, \mu_{XY} [/tex] are the sample populations of samples X and Y, the means of samples X, Y and the mean of the entire population XY.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For every estimate of a population one looses one degree of freedom but then the standard deviation would be based on [tex]N-1=25-1=24[/tex] degrees of freedom... is this correct?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?