1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of electrons in the conduction band of various metals

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the number [itex]n_0[/itex] of electrons per volume unit in the conduction band for the lithium, copper and aluminium. Compare this result with the number of electrons of valence per volume unit of these metals.

2. Relevant equations
    None given, no ressource either.
    Currently checking out this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/band.html#c6 but I don't see how this can help me for that problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically stuck at start, I've checked out in 3 books (Brehm's, Serway's and Alonso&Finn's) +the Internet about this and couldn't find how to start the problem.
    What I imagine is that since they are 3 good conductors, the conduction band must be somehow filled so that I expect the number of electrons per volume unit in the conduction band to be "high" or about the same order of magnitude than the number of electrons per volume unit in the valance band.
    I don't really know how to show this mathematically though. I guess I'll have to check out the electrical configuration of the lithium to start with. From memory it's [itex]1s^22s^1[/itex]. And this is where I'm stuck, I don't know what to do next.
    Thanks for any help, even if it's redirecting me to books/websites!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted