Number of fission neutrons in ENSDF

In summary, If you need information about the abundance of spontaneous fission and average number of emitted neutrons per fission for Cf-252, it is best to look for other online databases that specialize in fission data, such as the Fission Product Yields Database (FPYD) or the Fission Product Database (FPD). ENSDF does not contain this specific information and using other sources will provide more comprehensive data on fission-related properties.
Oliver-BfS
I use ENSDF to get information about gamma energies and emission abundances for various nuclides. Now I need to know data about Cf-252, in particular the abundance of spontaneous fission and the average number of emitted neutrons per fission. Where can I find this information there?

Just as a comparison: The Recommended Data on nucleide.org has this information. However, I do not want to use this reference this time because it lacks other data that I need and I want to get all data from a single source.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, ENSDF does not contain this information about Cf-252. I recommend looking for other online databases that specialize in fission data, such as the Fission Product Yields Database (FPYD) or the Fission Product Database (FPD). These databases provide detailed information on prompt fission neutron yields and other fission-related data.

1. What is ENSDF?

ENSDF stands for Evaluated Nuclear Structure Data File. It is a database that contains information about the structure and properties of atomic nuclei.

2. How is the number of fission neutrons determined in ENSDF?

The number of fission neutrons in ENSDF is typically determined through experimental measurements. These measurements involve bombarding a target nucleus with neutrons and observing the number of neutrons emitted during the fission process.

3. What is the importance of the number of fission neutrons in ENSDF?

The number of fission neutrons is important in understanding the nuclear properties and behavior of a particular isotope. It can also provide valuable information for nuclear energy applications and nuclear waste management.

4. Are there any uncertainties in the number of fission neutrons listed in ENSDF?

Yes, there can be uncertainties associated with the number of fission neutrons in ENSDF. These uncertainties can arise from experimental errors, data analysis methods, and other factors. It is important to carefully evaluate and consider these uncertainties when using the data from ENSDF.

5. How often is ENSDF updated with new data on fission neutrons?

ENSDF is continuously updated with new data as it becomes available. The updates are typically made on a yearly basis, but can also occur more frequently for important new data. Users can check the date of the latest update on the ENSDF website.