Number of Integral Solutions for Trigonometric Equation

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
Can you please clarify?In summary, the number of integral values of m for the equation sinx- √3 cosx = (4m-6)/(4-m) to have a solution is determined by the inequality -√10 ≤ (4m-6)/(4-m) ≤ √10, which can be obtained by using a trig identity to simplify the equation and finding a value for a such that sin(3)- √3 cosx = √10 sin(x-1.25) = (4m-6)/(4-m).
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Number of integral values of m for the equation [itex]\sin x - \sqrt{3} \cos x = \dfrac{4m-6}{4-m}[/itex] to have a solution is

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by plotting the graph of sinx and √3 cosx. Now if I shift the graph of √3 cosx to √3 units above or below its current position I can still have a solution. In other way 4m-6/4-m can be seen as a numerical constant that determines the shift in the graph of √3 cosx. Imposing the inequality

[itex]- \sqrt{3} \leq \dfrac{4m-6}{4-m} \leq \sqrt{3} [/itex]

and solving, I get a different answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might find it easier to use a trig identity to reduce to a single sine.

sin(a+ b)= cos(a)sin(b)+ sin(a)cos(b). Taking b= x, we would like to have cos(a)= 1, [itex]sin(a)= \sqrt{3}[/itex]. Of course, that is impossible because [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] is larger than 1. But we can "adjust" that. [itex]\sqrt{1^2+ 3^2}= \sqrt{10}[/itex] so [itex]sin(x)- \sqrt{3}cos(x)= \sqrt{10}\left((1/\sqrt{10} sin(x)+ (-\sqrt{3}/\sqrt{10}) cos(x)\right)[/itex]. Now we look for a such that [itex]cos(a)= 1/\sqrt{10}[/itex] and [itex]sin(a)= -\sqrt{3}/\sqrt{10}[/itex]. That is a= -1.25 radians.

That is, [tex]sin(3)- \sqrt{3}cos(x)= \sqrt{10}sin(x- 1.25)= \dfrac{4m- 6}{4- m}[/tex].

Since sine is always between -1 and 1, we must have [tex]-\sqrt{10}\le\dfrac{4m-6}{4-m}\le \sqrt{10}[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
You might find it easier to use a trig identity to reduce to a single sine.

sin(a+ b)= cos(a)sin(b)+ sin(a)cos(b). Taking b= x, we would like to have cos(a)= 1, [itex]sin(a)= \sqrt{3}[/itex]. Of course, that is impossible because [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] is larger than 1. But we can "adjust" that. [itex]\sqrt{1^2+ 3^2}= \sqrt{10}[/itex] so [itex]sin(x)- \sqrt{3}cos(x)= \sqrt{10}\left((1/\sqrt{10} sin(x)+ (-\sqrt{3}/\sqrt{10}) cos(x)\right)[/itex]. Now we look for a such that [itex]cos(a)= 1/\sqrt{10}[/itex] and [itex]sin(a)= -\sqrt{3}/\sqrt{10}[/itex]. That is a= -1.25 radians.

That is, [tex]sin(3)- \sqrt{3}cos(x)= \sqrt{10}sin(x- 1.25)= \dfrac{4m- 6}{4- m}[/tex].

Since sine is always between -1 and 1, we must have [tex]-\sqrt{10}\le\dfrac{4m-6}{4-m}\le \sqrt{10}[/tex].

I get [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2} \sin(x - \pi/3).[/tex] Of course ## 1^2 + \sqrt{3}^2 = 4##, not 10.

Anyway, could we have not left some of the work for the OP to do?

Ray Vickson said:
I get [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2} \sin(x - \pi/3).[/tex] Of course ## 1^2 + \sqrt{3}^2 = 4##, not 10.

Anyway, could we have not left some of the work for the OP to do?

I think f(x)=2sin(x-∏/3). Doing that way I get the correct answer. But can you please tell what is wrong in my original solution?

utkarshakash said:
I think f(x)=2sin(x-∏/3). Doing that way I get the correct answer. But can you please tell what is wrong in my original solution?

I could not figure out what you were trying to do.

What is the meaning of "number of integral values"?

The number of integral values refers to the total count of whole numbers that can be used to represent a given quantity or variable. It includes both positive and negative integers.

How is the number of integral values calculated?

The number of integral values can be calculated by finding the range of possible values for a given variable and then counting the number of integers within that range. For example, if the range is from -10 to 10, the number of integral values would be 21 (including 0).

What is the significance of knowing the number of integral values?

Knowing the number of integral values can be useful in many scientific and mathematical applications. It can help determine the accuracy and precision of data, as well as aid in solving equations and making predictions.

How does the number of integral values relate to continuous data?

The number of integral values is a discrete concept, meaning it only applies to whole numbers. Continuous data, on the other hand, refers to values that can take on any numerical value within a given range. Therefore, the number of integral values is not directly related to continuous data.

Can the number of integral values be infinite?

In theory, the number of integral values can be infinite, as there is an infinite number of whole numbers. However, in practical applications, the number of integral values is often limited by the precision of the data and the range of values being considered.