1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of integral values

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Number of integral values of m for the equation [itex]\sin x - \sqrt{3} \cos x = \dfrac{4m-6}{4-m}[/itex] to have a solution is

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by plotting the graph of sinx and √3 cosx. Now if I shift the graph of √3 cosx to √3 units above or below its current position I can still have a solution. In other way 4m-6/4-m can be seen as a numerical constant that determines the shift in the graph of √3 cosx. Imposing the inequality

[itex]- \sqrt{3} \leq \dfrac{4m-6}{4-m} \leq \sqrt{3} [/itex]

and solving, I get a different answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You might find it easier to use a trig identity to reduce to a single sine.

sin(a+ b)= cos(a)sin(b)+ sin(a)cos(b). Taking b= x, we would like to have cos(a)= 1, [itex]sin(a)= \sqrt{3}[/itex]. Of course, that is impossible because [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] is larger than 1. But we can "adjust" that. [itex]\sqrt{1^2+ 3^2}= \sqrt{10}[/itex] so [itex]sin(x)- \sqrt{3}cos(x)= \sqrt{10}\left((1/\sqrt{10} sin(x)+ (-\sqrt{3}/\sqrt{10}) cos(x)\right)[/itex]. Now we look for a such that [itex]cos(a)= 1/\sqrt{10}[/itex] and [itex]sin(a)= -\sqrt{3}/\sqrt{10}[/itex]. That is a= -1.25 radians.

That is, [tex]sin(3)- \sqrt{3}cos(x)= \sqrt{10}sin(x- 1.25)= \dfrac{4m- 6}{4- m}[/tex].

Since sine is always between -1 and 1, we must have [tex]-\sqrt{10}\le\dfrac{4m-6}{4-m}\le \sqrt{10}[/tex].

4. Nov 21, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2} \sin(x - \pi/3).[/tex] Of course ## 1^2 + \sqrt{3}^2 = 4##, not 10.

Anyway, could we have not left some of the work for the OP to do?

5. Nov 21, 2013 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I think f(x)=2sin(x-∏/3). Doing that way I get the correct answer. But can you please tell what is wrong in my original solution?

6. Nov 21, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I could not figure out what you were trying to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted