1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of ionizable hydrogen atoms

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What are the number of ionizable hydrogen atoms in phosphorus acid H3PO3?

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution
    I didn't even know what "ionizable " means. ( This is not a homework questions, I'm solving sample questions for an entrance exam) . So I searched the web . But still I don't know how to decide the number of ionizable hydrogen atoms in H3PO3 . Please help.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Ionizable means that it can be made into an ion, which in the context of hydrogen in an acid means that it will liberate a H+ ion.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorous_acid#Acid-base_properties. At most 2 hydrogen ions will leave phosphorus acid, leaving HPO32-. Therefore, phosphorus acid has two ionizable hydrogen atoms.

4. Apr 4, 2014 #3
    @DrClaude But if I'm just given a random acid how can I find the number of onizable hydrogen atoms?

5. Apr 4, 2014 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You can't. It something you have to know: what are the common acids and how they react.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted