1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of modes in a cavity

1. Aug 7, 2005 #1
    This might be a bit to specalised for some of you, but i am trying to calculate the number of modes that light can propegate in a material. The question is as follows

Consider a cavity that is a cube with the side length a = 1mm filled with water (refractive index(n) 1.33). Calculate the number of cavity modes that fall withing a bandwidth Delta f = 1MHz at the frequency of Ar laser (vaccume wavelength 488nm)

Now, we have been taught the equation that the numer of modes N in the material, N = (8Pi * n^3 * a^3 8f^3) / 3 c^3 where c is the speed of light in vaccume.

We have also been taught that The number of modes in a frequency interval between f and delta f is given by DeltaNf = (dNf/df)Deltaf

I get an answer of 827 modes in that interval. I got the frequency by using f=c/landa in the vaccume and remembered that the frequency of light is the same in every medium. (6.1475x10^14 Hz) Is this the right frequency to use in the water? And am I calculating the number of modes right?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted