Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of posts.

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1

adjacent

Gold Member

I don't know whether this is a bug or not,but I've just noticed the number of posts made by me didn't increase.Is there any problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Posts in GD don't count in the total given.

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3
    Why don't they just hide post count? What's the point of it?

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It encourages some users to stay here and post more, and it gives a rough idea how active a user was in the past.

6. Dec 11, 2013 #5
    Hmm...I've been meaning to report this for sometime but was too lazy to create a thread-
    The posts in the sub-forums of fun and games ie. photography forum etc. seem to count even though they belong to the Lounge...is this a bug or is it intentional?

7. Dec 11, 2013 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Along with what mfb said, I would add that it gives newbies in particular a sense of who is active on the forums. Certainly the amount of activity doesn't necessarily imply good answers, but it certainly shows that someone is interested in the discussions and it also shows that the poster hasn't made enough a lot of posts without haveing made enought bone-headed ones to get thrown off the forum :smile:

8. Dec 11, 2013 #7
    I'll look into this

9. Dec 11, 2013 #8

adjacent

Gold Member

I think it would be a good idea to have "reputation" and awards instead of post counts like in other forums.

Furthermore,it will be very helpful if there is a notification system like in facebook(but not exactly).The notification system should only notify the user if someone "tags" him/her in a post like this : @username etc.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  10. Dec 11, 2013 #9

Evo

We have recognition awards, there are Science Advisors, Homework Helpers, and right now we are having our annual member's choice awards.

What we don't want is to be like Facebook.

11. Dec 14, 2013 #10

rbj

geezez, Evo. 25K posts??

i can't even count that far. maybe to the log of it.

12. Dec 14, 2013 #11

Borek

Now remember only her posts outside of GD are counted.

13. Dec 14, 2013 #12

jtbell

Now you all know the real reason why we don't count posts in GD: if we did, Evo's post count would overflow and cause the server to crash. :eek:

14. Dec 14, 2013 #13

rbj

what's "GD"? "G## D#mmit"? "General Dynamics" (not much different)?

sorry to be clueless.

15. Dec 14, 2013 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

General Discussion.

16. Dec 15, 2013 #15

adjacent

Gold Member

You have more than 2200 posts and you seem to be a very old member of this forum(join date:2003).Still,you don't know what's GD?

17. Dec 15, 2013 #16

rbj

a while ago i was also a Sci Adviser until i asked Greg to take me offa the list (hey DaleSpam, i think i was the first to nominate you for Sci Adviser back in 2009 or something like that).

hey, listen, anyone can be clueless. and even hypocritical, in a recent cosmology thread about fine-tuning, i was similarly surprized when someone said he didn't know what i meant by "FTU". i would have thought that "FT" should have been obvious. so me a hypocrite. and clueless.

so now i know. so posts to the General Discussions forum don't tally up in the vote count?

18. Dec 15, 2013 #17

mfb

2016 Award

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook