1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of real variables required to construct the most general 2by2 unitary matrix

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

how many real variables would be required to construct a most general 2by2 unitary matrix?

2. Relevant equations

a unitary matrix U is one for which the U(U hermitian) = identity matrix or (U hermitian)U = identity matrix

3. The attempt at a solution

first i wrote the unitary matrix as {{a1+ib1,a2+ib2},{a3+ib3,a4+ib4}}, where 'i' is square root of -1. using the condition U(U hermitian) = identity matrix, i get four independent equations. thus, i should expect the number of real variables required as 8 - 4 (number of constraints) = 4. but if i consider the definition (U hermitian)U = identity matrix, i get another set of four equations. Does that mean that the number of real variables required is 8-8 =0?

there is another way to attack the problem. a hermitian matrix must have real diagonal elements. the (1,2) element must be the complex conjugate of the (2,1) element and hence, i need 4 real variables to construct the most general 2by2 hermitian matrix. since a unitary matrix can be written as exp(iH) where H is a hermitian matrix, does this also indicate that i would need 4 variables for a unitary matrix as well?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: number of real variables required to construct the most general 2by2 unitary matr

You are counting correctly, except (U*)U=I and U(U*)=I are not independent sets of equations. If one holds the other automatically holds. There are 4 real parameters describing a 2x2 unitary matrix.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3
    Re: number of real variables required to construct the most general 2by2 unitary matr

thank you for your assistance... i later on figured out that it must be true since when i impose the condition that the determinant of the matrix is 1, then i end up getting SU2 group, to specify which i need three parameters... so, without the constraint of the determinant being 1, i must need 4 parameters

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?