Discover the Secret Formula for Relating N and t in this Number Pattern

• Thread starter orthovector
  • Start date
In summary: Just substitute the appropriate ai values into the equation aN = a1 + a2 + a3 + a4. So if you had N=5, t=15, and wanted to find aN, you would use the equation aN = 15 + 16 + 17 + 18 + 19.
orthovector
anybody know how I can relate N with t?

when N=1 t=0, N=2 t=1, N=3 t=3, N=4 t=6, N=5 t=10, N=6 t=15, N=7 t=21...and so on.

i need to derived a formula that relates N to t.

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Each increment in t jumps by one more than the preceding increment. The t-sequence is {0, 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, ...}

There's a way to solve this using difference equations (which are something like differential equations, but not the same). In this problem the first differences are 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on, and the second differences are all 1.

The technique escapes me at the moment, and I'm heading off to bed. In the meantime, you might try a search for "difference equations" and see if that helps you.

Start by tabulating values of N and N squared.

Mark44 said:
Each increment in t jumps by one more than the preceding increment. The t-sequence is {0, 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, ...}

There's a way to solve this using difference equations (which are something like differential equations, but not the same). In this problem the first differences are 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on, and the second differences are all 1.

The technique escapes me at the moment, and I'm heading off to bed. In the meantime, you might try a search for "difference equations" and see if that helps you.

thanks mark, I'll try to work on it a bit more...I think these number patterns are very interesting...

help!

This is actually a bit simpler than I first thought. Here are the numbers you gave, plus a few more, assuming they follow the same pattern
Code:
N |1|2|3|4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9|
---------------------------
t |0|1|3|6|10|15|21|28|37|

First, I'd like to get rid of t, and switch to aN, since I would like to be able to identify which value in the second row I'm talking about. The bottom row has values of ai, where i >= 1. I stared at the table for a while, then noticed this pattern:
a1 = 0
a2 = a1 + 1
a3 = a2 + 2
a4 = a3 + 3
aN = ? + ?

That should get you started.

1. What is the formula for relating N and t in this number pattern?

The formula for relating N and t in this number pattern is t = N + 2.

2. How do you discover the secret formula for this number pattern?

The secret formula for this number pattern can be discovered by analyzing the relationship between N and t in the given sequence and identifying any patterns or trends.

3. Why is it important to find the formula for this number pattern?

Finding the formula for this number pattern can help us understand the underlying structure and logic behind the sequence, making it easier to predict and generate future terms in the pattern.

4. Can this formula be applied to other number patterns?

Yes, the formula for relating N and t in this number pattern can be applied to other number patterns that follow a similar relationship between the two variables.

5. Is there a specific method or technique to discover the secret formula for a number pattern?

There is no specific method or technique for discovering the secret formula for a number pattern, but it often involves careful observation and analysis of the given sequence and identifying any recurring patterns or relationships between the terms.