Complete Number Pattern: 400,000; 300,000; 199,800;

• Thread starter akl95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patterns
In summary, the pattern is that the first number decreases by 100 and the second number increases by 300 in each set. So the missing numbers would be 398,600; 297,200; 196,900. The process to find this pattern is to first find the difference between each set of numbers, then look for any linear or quadratic relationships between these differences. In this case, the common difference is constant, indicating a simple arithmetic series.
akl95
I have a number pattern I need help with... can someone complete the pattern and explain the process:

700,500; 600,200; 499,900; __________; ___________; _____________

Pattern explain:________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Everybody looks for patterns in different ways, depending on how their brain works. For me, I always like to start with the simplist strategies and work up from there. So first start out by finding the difference between each set of numbers, you can easily set up a construction of doing this in a triangle method, which I will attempt to demonstrate on a computer, but is easier to do on paper:

[tex]
\begin{multline*}
Number 1 \\
(Number 2 - Number1) \\
\end{multline*}
[/tex]
[tex]
\begin{multline*}
Number 2 \\
(Number 3 - Number2) \\
\end{multline*}
[/tex]
[tex]
\begin{multline*}
Number 3
\end{multline*}
[/tex]

You can then form a new line by doing the same iterative process down the next group of numbers.

The formula then follows that in the first line that you made, there is a linear relation between the variables. (t) The second line corresponds to a (t^2) quadratic relation etc.

If this doesn't work, start looking at ratios and the like looking for different relationships, but I have a feeling that in this case, it will work well.

~Lyuokdea

just as a hint, try thinking about the 499 as 500-1 instead of 499

This looks like a simple arithmetic series with the common difference = -100,300.

1. What is the pattern in the given numbers?

The pattern in the given numbers is a decreasing sequence with a common difference of 100,000. The numbers go down by 100,000 each time, starting from 400,000.

2. Is there a specific formula for this number pattern?

Yes, the formula for this number pattern is an = a1 - (n-1)d, where a1 is the first term (in this case, 400,000), n is the term number, and d is the common difference (in this case, 100,000).

3. What is the next number in the pattern?

The next number in the pattern would be 99,800. This can be found by subtracting 100,000 from the last number in the given sequence (199,800).

4. How many terms are in this number pattern?

There are four terms in this number pattern.

5. Can this number pattern continue indefinitely?

Yes, this number pattern can continue indefinitely as long as the common difference of 100,000 is maintained. The numbers would continue to decrease by 100,000 each time, infinitely.