That's why I'm asking.Decoding Number Sequences: 17 or 27?

• Thread starter exodian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the conversation revolves around a number sequence and the dispute between two individuals about the next correct number. One person believes it is 17 while the other believes it is 27. The forum members point out that there is no single "correct" answer and explain different possible sequences that could follow the given pattern. Ultimately, it is concluded that the sequence is arbitrary and cannot be uniquely determined based on the given information.
exodian
Hello all,

I was wondering if you all could help me with a small problem.

Me and a friend had a discussion about a number sequence i found on http://www.fibonicci.com/en/number-sequences

1, 3, 7, 11, 13 ...

He says the next correct number is 27 and I say it's 17.

This forum seems full of very intelligent people, so i thought i post it here to get a definite answer! So which is the only correct one? :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
it is +2 +4 +4 so the next number is 17.

Ye, i kno! :D but he goes mumbeling something about primenumbers 10+n^2 don't really understand it and says the next number is 27

Is this correct or not?

So if all of you people say its 17 then i win hehe ^^

The underlying assumption is that the current pattern continues indefinitely - you are assuming that the "+2 +4 + 4 +2 +4 +4" will go on forever. if you can make that assumption, then the answer would be 17. If you can't make that assumption, there is no single "correct" answer.

The next number is 0. They obviously meant the sequence
1, 3, 7, 11, 13, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ...

Hurkyl said:
The next number is 0. They obviously meant the sequence
1, 3, 7, 11, 13, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ...

What kind of sequence is this?

An arbitrary one.

A slightly less arbitrary sequence beginning this way is:
1, 3, 7, 11, 13, 17, 31, 33, 37, 71, 73, 77, 111, 113, 117, ...

Which is the sequence of numbers in base three with digits 1, 3, and 7 used instead of 0, 1, and 2.

"Guess which sequence I'm thinking of"-type questions are lame because no finite number of initial members will uniquely specify it.

exodian said:
but he goes mumbeling something about primenumbers 10+n^2 don't really understand it and says the next number is 27

Is this correct or not?

So if all of you people say its 17 then i win hehe ^^

Your friend refers to http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A114273 .

There is no single 'correct' answer. There are uncountably many integer sequences that start 1, 3, 7, 11, 13.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but he is talking about the fibbonacci numbers, in which case the next answer would be 27.

Riogho said:
Yes, but he is talking about the fibbonacci numbers, in which case the next answer would be 27.

But nothing about the numbers he gave shows that it *is* the fibonacci sequence.

What is the significance of the number sequences 17 or 27?

The number sequences 17 and 27 are both prime numbers, meaning they can only be divided by 1 and themselves. In mathematics, prime numbers are considered special because they have unique properties and are the building blocks of all other numbers.

What is the difference between the number sequences 17 and 27?

The main difference between 17 and 27 is their value. 17 is a prime number that comes after 16 and before 18, while 27 is a composite number that comes after 26 and before 28. Additionally, 27 is a multiple of 3, while 17 is not.

What is the pattern of the number sequences 17 or 27?

The number sequences 17 and 27 do not follow a specific pattern. They are both prime numbers, which means they cannot be divided by any other number besides 1 and themselves. However, they can be part of larger number sequences, such as the prime numbers sequence.

How can the number sequences 17 or 27 be used in real life?

The number sequences 17 and 27 have various applications in real life. For example, 17 is often used in the measurement of angles in geometry, and 27 is a significant number in music theory. Additionally, both numbers are commonly used in computer algorithms and cryptography.

Are there any cultural or historical significances of the number sequences 17 or 27?

The number 17 has cultural and historical significance in many countries. In ancient Egypt, 17 was considered a symbol of immortality. In Norse mythology, 17 is the number of the gods. As for 27, it is often associated with the 27 Club, a group of famous musicians who died at the age of 27. 27 is also the number of bones in a human hand and the number of letters in the alphabet used by the ancient Hebrews.