1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number System conversions

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    Hi guys I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, so if its not please redirect me.

We are learning Number system conversions and I am having trouble converting anything other than base 10 to other bases. Ex base 8 to base 2.
    I tried converting say 456 base 8 to base 2
    This is not a hw question so
    If you would like to post a General equation please go ahead. I just want to understand how to do this
    Step by step.

Equations:
    I'm currently writing things in the form Q and R chart

Work:
    456 I try converting that to base 10, I get 302 then I devide by 2, I get 151 remainder 0 but I'm not sure if this is the correct way because I remember my teacher dissecting the 456 into 3 different number 4,5,6 and dealing with them separately. Also if I don't know if the 151 that I got is base 10 or 8

Please Help. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You must do your arithmetic in the correct base. Do do your conversion you must do base 8 arithmetic.

Another way would be to convert the base 8 to base 10 (using base 10 arithmetic) then convert the base 10 number to binary.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    Oh ok. I got it that way. Thank you :)

Is there any other way of doing it without converting to Base 10 first? Not that it's hard

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can go directly between any 2 bases as long as you use appropriate arithmetic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook