1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number Systems

1. Apr 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    243 is a decimal number. You must convert it to base n, where n will be computed using the
    digit (d) 5.
    For example if your digit (d) was "7" , then n is
    calculated as :n = d % 6 + 2 (where d = 7) = 7%6 + 2 = 3

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution

n = d % 6 + 2 (where d=5) = 5%6 + 2 = 3

243 to the base of 3 =

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

d is given? Or does it come from somewhere else?
    You used the example of d=7, I'm not sure if that was the idea of the homework problem.

4. Apr 26, 2015 #3
    d is given as 5. But when i plug it into the formula to calculate n i keep getting 3. Im probably wrong because im not calculating it right. Im not having any difficulty with anything else, just that bit. So if i can get some assistance on calculating n with d=5 then I will be fine. Thanks.

5. Apr 26, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All I know is 24310 = 35

Using place-value, 1000003 = 1×35 + 0×34 + 0×33 + 0×32 + 0×31 + 0×30

6. Apr 26, 2015 #5
    DId i calculate n right? CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF I CALCULATED N RIGHT OR IF IM DOING SOMETHING WRONG. PLEASE!

7. Apr 26, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Beats me. I don't understand the question or the formula you posted. Can you provide a reference or other information?

8. Apr 26, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If this is the full and exact problem statement, it is very odd.

If you plug d=5 into the formula then n won't be 3.

9. Apr 26, 2015 #8

Merlin3189

Gold Member

This is indeed very strange.
    You seem to have two distinct questions:
    - convert a number into a different base, base n. This is very simple, so I don't think you have a problem here.
    - find out what number n is. That is difficult because no one has defined n for you, just given an example using numbers conjured out of thin air!

The statement of the problem is odd to me: if n is to be computed from 5, why say (d)? And in your example, it is computed from 7, 6 and 2. If this really means (d), 6 and 2, why is 7 given a name (d) and 6 and 2 are not given names?

So I can't tell you if you used the right formula. Using the formula you gave as an example,
    and assuming % means modulo and : means nothing, then
    5 % 6 + 2 <> 3 so your calculation is in error.
    if % means integer division and : means nothing, then
    5 % 6 + 2 <> 3 so your calculation is in error.

I can't tell which of these is the correct error, since 7 mod 6 = 1 and int( 7/6) =1 so your % could be either, but this is where your calculation seems to err, unless you can suggest another meaning for the % symbol or the : symbol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted