Number Theory Advice: Struggling with Proofs in Course

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student taking a number theory course and finds it to be the hardest course they have taken. They struggle with constructing proofs and have spent over 2 hours on a single problem. They are seeking advice on how to improve and mention that they have not encountered proofs in their previous courses. The other person in the conversation suggests learning definitions by heart and understanding their meaning, while the speaker argues that it is more important to understand the foundations and how they lead to proofs.
only_huce
I am an undergrad taking my first course in number theory. For some reason, this is the hardest course I have ever taken in my life. It puts Calculus and Differential Equations to shame in my honest opinion.

My question is, am I the only one who thinks so? I mean, I go over the chapters, attend every class, and I can do any problem or apply any theorem when it involves actual numbers. However, when I have to do proofs (which is 70% of the coursework) I still find myself struggling. It's half-way through the semester and constructing proofs still hasn't clicked for me. When doing the HW, I find myself spending over 2 hours on a problem only to prove it half way.

Am I doing something wrong? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have to do proofs in your other courses?

No, I'm an engineering major deciding to pursue a math minor therefore this is the first class I've ever taken involving proofs.

I mean I did some proofs in calculas 2, however they were more computational and involved integrating a formula rather than logical which is what I am encountering in this course.

Definitions, definitions, definitions.

In mathematics, definitions are "working" definitions. You use the exact wording of definitions in proofs. The absolute best thing you can do is learn definitions by heart and understand what they mean.

I'd beg to differ on that matter of semantics; definitions in mathematics are absolute definitions for the given theory. To grasp a proof what's required is not committing them to memory, but following from the foundations they establish.

Considering the definitions you're working with in different ways and combining them is what leads to proofs of propositions most easily.

1. How can I improve my proof-writing skills in number theory?

There are several ways to improve your proof-writing skills in number theory. First, make sure you have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and definitions in number theory. Next, practice regularly by attempting to prove various theorems and propositions. Get feedback from your peers or instructor and revise your proofs if needed. Additionally, studying and analyzing well-written proofs by experts in the field can also help improve your own proof-writing abilities.

2. What is the most common mistake students make when writing proofs in number theory?

The most common mistake students make when writing proofs in number theory is assuming what they are trying to prove. It is important to carefully follow the logical steps and clearly state each assumption and conclusion. Another common mistake is not providing enough justification for each step in the proof. Make sure to explain why each step follows logically from the previous one.

3. How do I know which proof techniques to use for a particular problem in number theory?

The best way to determine which proof techniques to use for a particular problem in number theory is to carefully read the problem and identify the key concepts and definitions involved. Then, consider what the problem is asking you to prove and brainstorm different approaches that could lead to a solution. It may also be helpful to consult with your peers or instructor for guidance.

4. How can I check the validity of my proof in number theory?

To check the validity of your proof in number theory, you can follow a few steps. First, read through your proof carefully to ensure that each step is clearly stated and logically follows from the previous one. Next, try to follow the proof yourself to see if it leads to the desired conclusion. You can also ask a peer or instructor to review your proof and provide feedback. Additionally, consulting resources such as textbooks or online articles to compare your proof with others can also help validate its correctness.

5. What resources are available to help me with proofs in my number theory course?

There are several resources available to help you with proofs in your number theory course. Your instructor or teaching assistants are a valuable resource and can provide you with feedback and guidance on your proof-writing skills. There are also many textbooks and online articles on number theory that provide examples and explanations of proof techniques. Additionally, there are online forums and study groups where you can discuss and collaborate with other students on proof-writing strategies.