Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number theory basics :)

1. Feb 23, 2016 #1
    Hello im currently learning some of the basics of number theory, and struggling to understand this Theorem. Could someone please explain it with maby a simple example? :)

THRM:(Number of polynomial zero mod p and H)
    Let p be a prime number and let H be a polynomial that is irruducible modulo p. Furthermore let P be a polynomial that has degree d>=0 modulo p. Then P has at most d polynomial zeros that are pairwise not congruent modulo p and H.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What does the part in bold mean?
    I understand what "congruent mod p" means, but I don't understand what "congruent mod p and H" means.

4. Feb 24, 2016 #3
    okey, i will explain with an example. say P=X^2 and Q=2X^3+X-2, and p=3, dividing P by H we obtain a rest of +4.
    Then dividing Q by H we obtain a rest of -5.
    +4 is congurent to +1 mod 3, and -5 is congurent with +1 mod 3.
    We now say that the polynomials P is congurent to Q mod(p,H). Because they have the same remainders when dividing by H mod n.

5. Feb 24, 2016 #4

Mark44

You haven't said what H is.

6. Feb 24, 2016 #5
    srry!
    H is an non-constant polynomial whoose leading coeff is coprime to n.

7. Feb 24, 2016 #6

fresh_42

May I summarize:
    We have a prime ##p## and polynomials ##P(x), H(x) ∈ ℤ[x]## where ##\deg P = d ## and ##H[x] \mod p ## is irreducible in ##Z_p[x]##.
    Then ##d \mod p ≥ 0##. But this is always the case.
    Now we have to show that ##P(x)## has at most ##d## zeros ##\{x_1,...,x_d\}## in ##ℤ## or in ##ℤ_p##?
    Or did you mean ## \{ x-x_1,...,x-x_d \} ## as "polynomial zeros"?

Those are pairwise incongruent "modulo ##(p,H)##" which you defined as follows:
    Two polynomials ##P(x),Q(x) ∈ ℤ[x]## are congruent modulo ##(p,H)## if ##\frac{P}{H} = \frac{Q}{H} \mod n##.
    I suppose ##n=p##? Or ##n=d##? And the division of the polynomials is performed in which Ring? Or shall we divide ##\frac{P(x_i)}{H(x_i)}##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook