Which Book is Best for Self-Studying Number Theory?

In summary, the person is looking for a recommendation for an introductory book on Number Theory for self-study. They want something that will give them a general idea of the subject, is not too difficult to follow, but is rigorous and proof-based. They are also open to suggestions for books available on avaxhome.ws.
sutupidmath
Hi,

I was wondering what introductory book to Number Theory for self study would you recommend? I don't need one that is too streched, just one that will give me a flavor of number theory.

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
introductory as in undergrads level or just for some exposure?

icystrike said:
introductory as in undergrads level or just for some exposure?

I am not sure what you exactly mean by that. But what i am looking for is something that will give me a general idea of what number theory is about. Something that is not too difficult to follow, but rigorous at the same time; that is almost 100% proof based.

I am not sure what exactly would be the difference between "introductory as in undergrads level " and "just for some exposure".

try avaxhome.ws its has a lot of books..

1. What is Number Theory?

Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers. It is a fundamental area of study in mathematics and has applications in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics.

2. Why is a book on Number Theory needed?

A book on Number Theory is needed because it provides a comprehensive and organized approach to learning the subject. It covers the foundational concepts, theorems, and techniques used in Number Theory, making it easier to understand and apply. It also includes exercises and examples to help readers practice and deepen their understanding.

3. Who can benefit from studying Number Theory?

Anyone with an interest in mathematics can benefit from studying Number Theory. It is a challenging yet fascinating subject that can improve problem-solving skills and logical thinking. It is also essential for those pursuing a career in fields that require a strong mathematical foundation, such as engineering, finance, and computer science.

4. What are some key topics covered in a book on Number Theory?

A book on Number Theory typically covers topics such as prime numbers, divisibility, modular arithmetic, Diophantine equations, and theorems such as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic and the Chinese Remainder Theorem. It may also delve into more advanced topics like analytic number theory and algebraic number theory.

5. How can I get started with learning Number Theory?

To get started with learning Number Theory, you can either enroll in a course or study on your own using a book or online resources. It is helpful to have a strong foundation in algebra and basic mathematical concepts before diving into Number Theory. It is also beneficial to practice solving problems and to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor if needed.