1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Number Theory Books

1. I'm looking for a good number theory book which doesn't hesitate to talk about the underlying algebra of some of the subject (e.g. using group theory to prove Fermat's Little Theorem and using ring theory to explain the ideas behind the Chinese Remainder Theorem). I'm still an undergraduate, so the book should be accessible to someone who has been through (or is going through, maybe) the standard undergrad abstract algebra coursework.

The book closest to my description is one by Everest and Ward, which I own already. The problem is that it's a little short and they shove aside some of the algebra in the earlier chapters as well...

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. xristy

xristy 116
    Gold Member

In terms of upper division undergraduate my favorite is Ireland and Rosen.

4. Try Elementary Number Theory: An Algebraic Approach by Bolker. I haven't read much of it, but it seems to be just what you're looking for. It's a little $10 Dover book, so you can't really go wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?