Number Theory (Legendre symbols, quadratic residues/nonresidues)

In summary, the statement provided is false, as demonstrated by a counterexample. The Legendre symbol only gives information for prime moduli, so it cannot be used to prove the statement. The Chinese Remainder Theorem can be used for composite moduli, but does not hold for non-prime moduli.
Ignea_unda

Homework Statement

"Tell whether the statement is true and give a counterexample if it is false"
"Let m > 0 and (m, ab) = 1. If neither x^2 congruent to a (mod m) nor y^2 congruent to b (mod m) is solvable, then z^2 congruent to ab (mod m) is solveable.

Homework Equations

Legendre symbols
Quadratic Congruences

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is true, using Legendre symbols. But I want to be able to prove it. I started multiplying the congruences and came up with:
x^2y^2 congruent ab (mod m)
But I'm not sure if I'm even heading in the right direction.

Okay, so maybe I didn't show my work correctly enough.

My thoughts that this is true is that:

(a / p) (b / p) = (ab / p) Being the fact that both are not congruent, this means that there is an odd number of divisors, such that x^2 has no solutions. Therefore, when you multiply the divisors together you get an even number of "nonresidues" and multiplying them all together (because of multiplicity) get's you that there is an answer to z^2 = ab. I am more curious if there is a better way to prove this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I will provide a response to your question.

The statement you provided is actually false. A counterexample to this statement is when m = 6, a = 3, b = 2. In this case, (m, ab) = (6, 6) = 1, and neither x^2 congruent to 3 (mod 6) nor y^2 congruent to 2 (mod 6) is solvable. However, z^2 congruent to 6 (mod 6) is not solvable either.

The reason for this is that the Legendre symbol only gives information about the solvability of a quadratic congruence when the modulus is a prime number. In this case, m = 6 is not a prime number, so the Legendre symbol cannot be used to determine the solvability of z^2 congruent to ab (mod m).

In general, the statement you provided is not true for composite numbers as the modulus. A better way to prove this statement would be to use the Chinese Remainder Theorem, which states that if two congruences x^2 congruent to a (mod m) and y^2 congruent to b (mod m) are solvable, then the congruence z^2 congruent to ab (mod m) is also solvable. However, this theorem does not hold for non-prime moduli, so the statement is not true in general.

I hope this clarifies things for you. Keep investigating and asking questions, that's what being a scientist is all about. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a Legendre symbol?

A Legendre symbol is a mathematical notation used in number theory to describe the quadratic character of an integer with respect to a given prime number. It is denoted by (a/p) where 'a' is the integer and 'p' is the prime number.

2. What is the significance of quadratic residues and nonresidues in number theory?

Quadratic residues and nonresidues play a crucial role in number theory, especially in the study of prime numbers. They help in determining the solvability of certain equations, detecting patterns in prime numbers, and constructing efficient cryptographic systems.

3. How can one determine if a given integer is a quadratic residue or nonresidue?

To determine if an integer 'a' is a quadratic residue or nonresidue with respect to a prime number 'p', one can use the Legendre symbol (a/p). If the Legendre symbol is equal to 1, then 'a' is a quadratic residue mod 'p'. If the symbol is equal to -1, then 'a' is a quadratic nonresidue mod 'p'.

4. What is the connection between Legendre symbols and Euler's criterion?

Euler's criterion is a theorem in number theory which states that if 'a' is a quadratic residue mod a prime number 'p', then 'a' raised to the power of (p-1)/2 is congruent to 1 mod 'p'. Similarly, if 'a' is a quadratic nonresidue mod 'p', then 'a' raised to the power of (p-1)/2 is congruent to -1 mod 'p'. This criterion can be written in terms of Legendre symbols as (a/p) is congruent to a^((p-1)/2) mod 'p'.

5. Can Legendre symbols be extended to non-prime moduli?

Yes, Legendre symbols can be extended to non-prime moduli using the Jacobi symbol. The Jacobi symbol is a generalization of the Legendre symbol and can be defined for any odd integer 'n'. It is denoted by (a/n) and follows similar rules as the Legendre symbol. However, the Jacobi symbol can also take on values of 0 and -1, unlike the Legendre symbol which only takes on 1 and -1.