Proving the Equation: 1/p c(p,n) = (-1)^{n-1}/n (mod p)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equation $\frac{1}{p}c(p,n) = (-1)^{n-1}/n (mod p)$ and different ways of approaching it, such as using Wilson's Theorem and expanding the combination. The conversation also touches on the meaning of 1/n and -1/n mod p and the notation for congruences. Ultimately, it is suggested to write out the LHS as a fraction with negative representatives in the numerator, which should nicely cancel to give the desired result.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Prove that

[tex] \frac{1}{p} c(p,n) = (-1)^{n-1}/n (mod p) [/tex]

I expanded that combination in every way I could think and I tried to use Wilson's Theorem and I couldn't get :(

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That's p choose n, right?

Try writing the LHS out as a fraction with the stuff in the numerator as negative representatives. It should nicely cancel to give the result.

What do you mean "negative representatives"?

-(p-1)/2, -(p-2)/2,..., -1 for odd p

Last edited:
What is 1/n, or -1/n mod p supposed to mean?

matt grime said:
What is 1/n, or -1/n mod p supposed to mean?

Usually those would be the multiplicative inverses of n and -n respectively.

Usually? I beg to differ. Writing 1/n would indicate that the OP hasn't grasped what's going on. As would the fact there is an equals sign. I can't think of anyone who writes 1/2 mod 3 and not -1 0 it is incredibly bad notation. There is a difference from what I infer and what the OP ought to have written.

Last edited:
What does OP stand for? Is that me?

I just realized that my book my book defines congruence as

[tex] x \equiv y \mod p [/tex]

when x-y is a rational number whose numerator, in reduced form, is divisible by p.

So, it is like a generalized congruence or something...

Are there different rules for these generalized congruences?

I am not sure why what Gokul43201 wrote cancels nicely?

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of numbers, particularly integers. It involves investigating patterns and relationships between numbers, as well as developing theories and solving mathematical problems related to numbers.

2. What is a number theory problem?

A number theory problem is a mathematical problem that involves using concepts and principles from number theory to solve. These problems often require a deep understanding of number properties and relationships, as well as creative problem-solving skills.

3. What are some common techniques used in number theory problems?

Some common techniques used in number theory problems include prime factorization, congruence, modular arithmetic, and the Chinese remainder theorem. These techniques can help to simplify and solve complex number theory problems.

4. How is number theory used in real life?

Number theory has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. For example, number theory is used in cryptography to create secure communication systems, and in physics to understand the behavior of particles and waves.

5. What skills are needed to solve number theory problems?

To solve number theory problems, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, and number theory itself. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and logic skills are essential in approaching and solving number theory problems.