1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number theory Q

1. May 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex] \zeta [/itex] be a primative 6-th root of unity. Set [itex] \omega = \zeta i [/itex] where [itex] i^2 = 1[/itex].

Find a square-free integer [itex]m[/itex] such that [itex] Q [\sqrt{m}] = Q[ \zeta ] [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

The minimal polynomial of [itex] \zeta [/itex] is [itex] x^2 - x + 1 [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I was intending to use the theorem that:

Take [itex] p [/itex] to be a prime and [itex] \zeta [/itex] to be a [itex] p [/itex]-th root of unity. if

[tex]S = \sum_{a =1}^{p-1} \big( \frac{a}{p} \big) \zeta^a [/tex]

then

[tex] S^2 = \Big( \frac{-1}{p} \Big) p [/tex].

This would make [itex]S^2[/itex] an integer. However, 6 is not a prime though. I'm really stumped in what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and by [itex]( \frac{-1}{p} \Big)[/itex], I mean the legendre symbol.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are the roots of x^2-x+1?

4. May 13, 2007 #3
    The roots of that polynomial are the primative roots [itex] \zeta [/itex] and [itex]\zeta^5[/itex]. How would I now use this information?

5. May 13, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. What are the roots of that polynomial. You're making it too complicated. If I gave you that polynomial in you Freshman calc course, or whatever, you'd be able to write out the roots without thinking. What are the roots? Or better yet, don't write out the roots using THE QUADRATIC FORMULA, just write down a sixth root of unity using elementary complex numbers. HINT: If I asked for a primitive 4th root of unity, would i be acceptable? Or -i? You know that [itex]\exp(2\pi i/n)[/itex] is a primitive n'th root of unity, and that the others are [itex]\exp(2\pi i m/n)[/itex] for m prime to n.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?