1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number Theory question

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a, b, c, d and e are distinct integers such that (5-a)(5-b)(5-c)(5-d)(5-e) = 28. What is the value of a+b+c+d+e?

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to solve this in the following manner:- On factorizing 28, we get 28 = 2x2x7.

So, (5-a)(5-b)(5-c)(5-d)(5-e) = 2x2x7.

Now, since a, b, c, d and e are all distinct, each (5 - #) term [where # = a, b, c, d or e] would be a distinct integer.

So, all I need to find are 5 distinct integers whose product gives me 28. The only way I could think of was 28 = 2x(-2)x7x1x(-1).

So, according to the above method, a+b+c+d+e would be 7. But this is not the correct answer, it seems. Can anyone help me on this?

Also, is there a strictly analytical solution to these kind of problems, rather than simply guessing the integers [in this case, it was rather easy to do so!]?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

okay so you got a set of factors 2, -2, 7, 1 and -1 to give you 28

recall the a,b,c,d,e are all part of factors (5-a) ,... so you still need to do some simple math to get a,b,c,d,e and then add them up.

analytically, you can set limits on the factors such as no factor can be 0 and you can demonstrate that no factor can be greater than 28 or actually 14 and that at least two must be negative...

4. Dec 11, 2012 #3
    Oh, that was rather silly of me! :biggrin:

So, a, b, c, d and e would be actually 3, 7 , (-2), 4 and 6. And thus, a+b+c+d+e would be 18.

Thank you, jedishrfu! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook