Exploring Number Theory: Modulo 4 and Additive Orders Homework

In summary, we discussed the possible values of m^{2} + n^{2} modulo 4 and found that [0], [1], [2], [3] are the only possible equivalence classes. We also determined the possible values of d_{1}(n^{2}) by looking at the last digit of n squared, which can only be 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, or 9. Furthermore, we found that if d_{1}(n^{2})=d_{1}(m^{2}), then the difference between d_{1}(n) and d_{1}(m) is always a multiple of 2. Finally, we defined the additive order of a modulo
pupeye11

Homework Statement

1) What are the possible values of [tex]m^{2}[/tex] + [tex]n^{2}[/tex] modulo 4?

2) Let [tex]d_{1}(n)[/tex] denote the last digit of n (the units digit)

a) What are the possible values of [tex]d_{1}(n^{2})[/tex]?

b) If [tex]d_{1}(n^{2})=d_{1}(m^{2})[/tex], how are [tex]d_{1}(n)[/tex] and [tex]d_{1}(m)[/tex] related?

3) a) Find all possible additive orders for a (mod 78)

b) for each order d in part a), find a number n with order d.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Would this just be looking for the equivalence classes. So in this case the equivalence classes would be [0], [1], [2], [3]?

2) I honestly have no idea what this question is even asking.

3) a) Well if a was a number given I could rewrite the problem as ax [tex]\cong[/tex]0 (mod 78). Where do I go from here in this case though?

b) Maybe this part will make more sense after I figure out a)

Physics news on Phys.org
pupeye11 said:
1) Would this just be looking for the equivalence classes. So in this case the equivalence classes would be [0], [1], [2], [3]?

No. Of course [0], [1], [2], [3] are the only possible equivalence classes. But you don't know that they actually occur. For example: 2=12+12, so you see that [2] occurs as an equivalence class. Now, try to see which of the three others occurs.

2) I honestly have no idea what this question is even asking.

Take an arbitrary element n. What are the possible last digits of n2? For example: 42=16, so 6 is a possible last digit. Now find the other ones.

3) a) Well if a was a number given I could rewrite the problem as ax [tex]\cong[/tex]0 (mod 78). Where do I go from here in this case though?

What does [tex]ax\cong 0[/tex] (mod 78) mean? Just apply it's definition...

So for question 1. [0] can occur because [tex]2^{2}+2^{2}[/tex]= 0 mod 4.
[1] can occur because [tex]2^{2}+1^{2}[/tex]= 1 mod 4.
Is [3] the only one that can not occur?

As for question 2a, I went through and squared all numbers from 1 to 20, the only options would only be 0,1,4,5,6,9.

2b. it seems that the difference between them is always a multiple of 2.

3a. I am not sure what the definition of it is?

pupeye11 said:
So for question 1. [0] can occur because [tex]2^{2}+2^{2}[/tex]= 0 mod 4.
[1] can occur because [tex]2^{2}+1^{2}[/tex]= 1 mod 4.
Is [3] the only one that can not occur?

As for question 2a, I went through and squared all numbers from 1 to 20, the only options would only be 0,1,4,5,6,9.

2b. it seems that the difference between them is always a multiple of 2.

This is all correct. But you will probably have to prove all of this...

3a. I am not sure what the definition of it is?

What does your textbook give as definition??

That is the problem, I haven't been able to find one in the book or in my notes.

pupeye11 said:
That is the problem, I haven't been able to find one in the book or in my notes.

What does it mean to you? Just give me what you think it means. It doesn't have to be a rigorous definition...

that ax gives us a number equal to the equivalence class [0], i.e. divisible by 78

pupeye11 said:
that ax gives us a number equal to the equivalence class [0], i.e. divisible by 78

Indeed, so 78 divides ax. But, what does divisibility mean??

I am not really sure what you are getting at.

For 3 part a, additive order of a modulo n is defined to be the smallest positive integer m that satisfies the congruence equation m*a [tex]\cong[/tex] 0 (mod n). So in this case it'd be better to write a modulo n as m*a [tex]\cong[/tex] 0 (mod n). m would be our additive order which means since n=78 our m=78/a?

1. What is Number Theory?

Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers.

2. What are some key concepts in Number Theory?

Key concepts in Number Theory include prime numbers, divisibility, modular arithmetic, and Diophantine equations.

3. What is the importance of Number Theory?

Number Theory is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including cryptography, coding theory, and physics. It also helps us understand the fundamental properties of numbers and their relationships.

4. What are some common applications of Number Theory?

Number Theory has various applications in real-world problems, such as in computer security, data encryption, and internet security. It is also used in engineering, computer science, and physics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Number Theory?

To improve your understanding of Number Theory, you can practice solving problems, read textbooks and articles, attend lectures and seminars, and collaborate with others who have a strong understanding of the subject.