What are the values of the remaining stamps?

In summary, the problem is asking for the values of two stamps that cannot be used to make up exactly 33 postage amounts, including 46 cents. The equation ax+by=46 has a negative solution, indicating that one of the stamps must be less than 0. However, without further information, it is impossible to determine the exact values of the remaining stamps.
jaqueh

Homework Statement

There are exactly 33 postage amounts that cannot be made up using these stamps, including 46 cents. What are the values of the remaining stamps?

Homework Equations

stamp 1 = x
stamp 2 = y
Im assuming postage amounts range from 1 to 100 cents

The Attempt at a Solution

ax+by=46 has a negative solution obviously. So either a or b < 0. I cannot get any farther than that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it there are only two stamp values.
Can you say anything about common factors of x and y?
Can you then determine the max value that cannot be made from them?

jaqueh said:

Homework Statement

There are exactly 33 postage amounts that cannot be made up using these stamps, including 46 cents. What are the values of the remaining stamps?
I find this ambiguous. Is one of the stamps 46 cents or is one of the "postage amounts that cannot be made up" 46 cents?

Homework Equations

stamp 1 = x
stamp 2 = y
Im assuming postage amounts range from 1 to 100 cents

The Attempt at a Solution

ax+by=46 has a negative solution obviously. So either a or b < 0. I cannot get any farther than that.[/QUOTE]

HallsofIvy said:
I find this ambiguous. Is one of the stamps 46 cents or is one of the "postage amounts that cannot be made up" 46 cents?
Having solved it on the assumption that it means 46c cannot be made up, I'm pretty sure that's what is intended.

1. What is Number Theory stamp question?

Number Theory stamp question is a hypothetical situation used in mathematics to illustrate the concept of prime numbers and their properties. It involves a group of scientists who are trying to create a postage stamp with a unique number that represents the smallest prime number.

2. What is the significance of this question?

This question is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental properties and characteristics of prime numbers, which are the building blocks of all positive integers.

3. How does this question relate to real-life applications?

Number Theory stamp question has practical applications in cryptography, where prime numbers are used to create secure encryption codes. It also has applications in computer science, where prime numbers are used to generate random numbers and in various other fields such as physics, biology, and economics.

4. What is the connection between Number Theory stamp question and the Riemann hypothesis?

The Riemann hypothesis is a conjecture in the field of number theory that states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line. This hypothesis has a connection to the Number Theory stamp question as it helps us understand the distribution of prime numbers and their patterns.

5. Are there any practical implications of solving the Number Theory stamp question?

While solving the Number Theory stamp question may not have immediate practical implications, it can advance our understanding of prime numbers, which can lead to new discoveries and applications in various fields such as cryptography and computer science. It can also help us further our knowledge of number theory and potentially lead to the proof of the Riemann hypothesis.