Number Theory WOP: Find Smallest Integer of Form a - bk

S is nonempty, therefore the well-ordering principle applies, therefore S has a smallest element In summary, the conversation discusses a proof in number theory involving positive integers and the well-ordering principle. The proof shows that there is a smallest positive integer of the form a - bk, k \in Z, but does not specify what that smallest element is or how to find it. The conversation also touches on the concept of well-ordering principle and its application in this proof.
dashhh
I've just begun number theory and am having a lot of trouble with proofs. I think I am slowly grasping it, but would appreciate some clarification or any tips on the following please.

Show that if a and b are positive integers, then there is a smallest positive integer of the form a - bk, k [itex]\in[/itex] Z

The answer given is:
Let a and b be positive integers and let

S = {n:n is a positive integer and n = a - bk for some k [itex]\in[/itex] Z}

Now S is nonempty since a + b = a - b(-1) is in S. By the well ordering principle, S has a least element.

So, are they implying that k is the smallest element? or a - b(-1) as a whole is the smallest element?

I'm unsure as to how they are showing that it is the smallest element though. Given that either of the two options above would be S[itex]_{o}[/itex], what value would be the comparing s?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dashhh! welcome to pf! :wink:
dashhh said:
… By the well ordering principle, S has a least element.

So, are they implying that k is the smallest element? or a - b(-1) as a whole is the smallest element?

no, they're not saying anything about the smallest element

they're only saying that a smallest element exists

that's all the well ordering principle proves :smile:

dashhh said:
I've just begun number theory and am having a lot of trouble with proofs. I think I am slowly grasping it, but would appreciate some clarification or any tips on the following please.

Show that if a and b are positive integers, then there is a smallest positive integer of the form a - bk, k [itex]\in[/itex] Z

The answer given is:
Let a and b be positive integers and let

S = {n:n is a positive integer and n = a - bk for some k [itex]\in[/itex] Z}

Now S is nonempty since a + b = a - b(-1) is in S. By the well ordering principle, S has a least element.

Neither. They are saying that a- bk, for that particular k, is the smallest element.

I'm unsure as to how they are showing that it is the smallest element though. Given that either of the two options above would be S[itex]_{o}[/itex], what value would be the comparing s?

It would seem you are contradicting one another?
Or am i confused all over again?

EDIT: My only understanding of WOP is that you need S[itex]_{o}[/itex]<S
This is all we have learned so far, so based on the fact we should be able to understand (at least vaguely) what is going on with what we are supposed to know, I don't see how this should make sense yet. Is it due to being lacking in the area of proofs?

I should also mention I have actually looked at other resources etc, not just lecture notes.

Last edited:

What is Number Theory WOP?

Number Theory WOP stands for Number Theory with Well-Ordering Principle. It is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers.

What is the significance of finding the smallest integer of form a - bk?

Finding the smallest integer of form a - bk is important in Number Theory WOP because it helps in proving various theorems and solving mathematical problems related to integers.

How do you find the smallest integer of form a - bk?

The smallest integer of form a - bk can be found by using the Well-Ordering Principle, which states that every non-empty set of positive integers has a smallest element. By using this principle, we can systematically check all possible values of k until we find the smallest integer of the given form.

Can the smallest integer of form a - bk be negative?

Yes, the smallest integer of form a - bk can be negative. This is because the Well-Ordering Principle applies to all integers, including negative integers.

What is the importance of the Well-Ordering Principle in Number Theory WOP?

The Well-Ordering Principle is a fundamental tool in Number Theory WOP. It helps in proving theorems, solving mathematical problems, and establishing the existence of certain mathematical objects. It also allows us to define concepts such as greatest common divisor and least common multiple in a rigorous manner.