Finding the Remainder of 111111222222 Divided by 7

• Thread starter buzzmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Remainder
In summary: This is new, I have never heard of it. But what if the number of digits is an odd number. How can one split it into pairs? Say, the number is: 12345?You could try this: Start with the number as it is and break it into two groups of equal digits. For example, in the number 12345, the first two digits would be 1 and 3, so you would break it into (1,1). Next, take the second digit and add it to the first digit. That would be 2 in this example. Then, take the third digit and add it to the second digit. That would be 3 in this example.
buzzmath
Can anyone help me? I'm trying to find the remainder when 111111222222 is divided by 7 without using any long division.

I thinking that i can take the alternating sums of the 3 digits blocks and set that mod7. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
buzzmath said:
Can anyone help me? I'm trying to find the remainder when 111111222222 is divided by 7 without using any long division.

I thinking that i can take the alternating sums of the 3 digits blocks and set that mod7. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.
thanks

That will work since 1001 mod 7 = 0.

I guess the first thing to do is use a calculator and actually figure out the answer. Then do the question making the right factorizations that help you prove the answer you compute, where these factorizations should be the kind you can see without a calculator

= (111000222)(1001) since you can easily see this without a calculator

(1001)
= 10³ + 1

Figure out from here how to show 1001 = 0 (mod 7) [Hint: what is 10 (mod 7)?]

Or you could use a divisibility test. Break the number into pairs of digits:
11 11 11 22 22 22. Now, starting at the left, write the difference between the first pair and the next larger or equal multiple of 7. Since the first pair is 11 and the next larger multiple of 7 is 14, that's 3. Then the difference between that pair and the next smaller or equal multiple of 7. Since the next pair is 11, 11- 7= 4. Alternate between "larger" and "smaller" multiples of 7 as you go down the pairs. For this number, 111111222222, you get 3, 4, 3, 6, 1, 6. Write the digits in reverse order: 616343. Now repeat the process until you get something that obviously is or is not a multiple of 7. The original number is a multiple of 7 if and only if that first number is.

(Of course, I'm giving away the answer just by saying that a divisibility test WILL work!)

HallsofIvy said:
Or you could use a divisibility test. Break the number into pairs of digits:
11 11 11 22 22 22. Now, starting at the left, write the difference between the first pair and the next larger or equal multiple of 7. Since the first pair is 11 and the next larger multiple of 7 is 14, that's 3. Then the difference between that pair and the next smaller or equal multiple of 7. Since the next pair is 11, 11- 7= 4. Alternate between "larger" and "smaller" multiples of 7 as you go down the pairs. For this number, 111111222222, you get 3, 4, 3, 6, 1, 6. Write the digits in reverse order: 616343. Now repeat the process until you get something that obviously is or is not a multiple of 7. The original number is a multiple of 7 if and only if that first number is.

(Of course, I'm giving away the answer just by saying that a divisibility test WILL work!)
This is new, I have never heard of it. But what if the number of digits is an odd number. How can one split it into pairs? Say, the number is: 12345?

1. What is the remainder of 111111222222 divided by 7?

The remainder of 111111222222 divided by 7 is 3.

2. How do you find the remainder of a division problem?

To find the remainder of a division problem, you can use the modulo operator (%). This operator returns the remainder after dividing the first number by the second number.

3. Why is finding the remainder of a division problem important?

Finding the remainder of a division problem can help us understand the divisibility of numbers, identify patterns, and solve more complex mathematical problems.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick to finding the remainder of a large number divided by 7?

Yes, there is a trick to finding the remainder of a large number divided by 7. First, add the digits of the number together. If the resulting number is divisible by 7, then the original number is also divisible by 7. If the resulting number is not divisible by 7, then find the remainder of that number divided by 7.

5. Can finding the remainder of a division problem be applied to other mathematical operations?

Yes, finding the remainder can be applied to other mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. The remainder can also be used in various fields of science and engineering, such as cryptography and computer science.