1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number Theory

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    Okay I hope it's okay if I have a couple question. I've been strugelling a bit with this problem set. About a quarter of the questions I just don't seem to see how to start them. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly
    I
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give that [itex]p\nmid n[/itex] for all primes [itex]p\leq \sqrt[3]n[/itex] show that n> is either prime or the product of two primes.

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really see how to start this one. Any hint would be greatly appreciated

II.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give another proof of the infinitude of primes by assuming that there are only finitely many primes say [itex]p_1, p_2, ... p_n[/itex], and using the following integer to arrive at a a contradiciton:
    N = [tex]p_2p_3...p_n + p_1p_3...p_n +...+p_1p_2...p_{n-1}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that this proof should involve showing that [itex]p_k\nmid N\forall k[/itex] so N must be prime. Which would be like like Euler proof, but I can't seem to see how to set that up

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For I), if all of the primes less than n^(1/3) don't divide n then n still has a prime factorization. How many factors can there be? For II) for any i, p_i divides all of the terms which sum to N except one. Can it divide N?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?