1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number theory

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    So, I assume to look at multiplication as addition; how should I look at division?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And why would you do that? Do you have some context for your question?

4. Mar 23, 2014 #3
    I am just saying you can break down multiplication into a*b=a+a+a....

5. Mar 24, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you think of division using the same idea. If c=a*b means c=(a+a+a+... b times) then c/a=b also means c=(a+a+a+... b times).

6. Mar 24, 2014 #5
    I got on trouble for this post; I really thought that what I asked was legitimate. Those three concrete requirements for posting homework help don't really seem feasible all the time. Maybe they thought it was too vague, but I honestly needed help with that.

7. Mar 24, 2014 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Nevertheless, those are the rules.
    Your question was too vague, which is why Dick asked what the context was for your question. We aren't mindreaders here. When you post a problem on this site, put some effort into presenting the problem unambiguously, and show us that you have at least tried to come up with a solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted