Number theory

• Thread starter chimath35
  • Start date
So, I assume to look at multiplication as addition; how should I look at division?

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So, I assume to look at multiplication as addition; how should I look at division?

And why would you do that? Do you have some context for your question?

I am just saying you can break down multiplication into a*b=a+a+a....

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I am just saying you can break down multiplication into a*b=a+a+a....

Then you think of division using the same idea. If c=a*b means c=(a+a+a+... b times) then c/a=b also means c=(a+a+a+... b times).

Then you think of division using the same idea. If c=a*b means c=(a+a+a+... b times) then c/a=b also means c=(a+a+a+... b times).

I got on trouble for this post; I really thought that what I asked was legitimate. Those three concrete requirements for posting homework help don't really seem feasible all the time. Maybe they thought it was too vague, but I honestly needed help with that.

I got on trouble for this post; I really thought that what I asked was legitimate. Those three concrete requirements for posting homework help don't really seem feasible all the time.
Nevertheless, those are the rules.
Maybe they thought it was too vague, but I honestly needed help with that.
Your question was too vague, which is why Dick asked what the context was for your question. We aren't mindreaders here. When you post a problem on this site, put some effort into presenting the problem unambiguously, and show us that you have at least tried to come up with a solution.