Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number Tricks

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    Are for the most part kinda silly and easy to detect like the one that tells you to double and half and then add 6 and the answer is always 3 ya because you added 6.

However the red hammer trick works 100% it worked on me and it worked on everyone i know.
    Does it work on you guys?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What is the "red hammer trick"?
    :smile:

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    you ask a bunch of basic headcounting questions to someone like what is:

19+35

7*12

39-14

6*6

name a color and a tool.

the answer will always be red hammer. im not a psychologist but something fantastic and amazing occurs the answer is ALWAYS red hammer. my theory is that the brain always goes for the shortest path to the answer and the color red is the most popular color in the brain and the tool hammer is the most popular tool in our brain index. when you think of a tool you think hammer.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do you have some peer-reviewed references on that?
    Ask those questions in a different culture would most likely yield another answer, even if it is basically true within the US culture.

6. Oct 1, 2013 #5
    no of course not. i doubt that since a hammer is the most basic tool there is no matter the culture. and red is red. i suggest you try this one someone in your family see what kind of results you will get.

7. Oct 1, 2013 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There are lots of Amazon tribes not using hammers, and GREEN is quite possibly the colour they first will think of..

8. Oct 1, 2013 #7
    I would think of a blue pen....or a saw.

9. Oct 1, 2013 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Lol I remember that "trick" from middle school. Barely anyone ever said red hammer. I have no idea where you are getting your grandiose claims.

10. Oct 1, 2013 #9
    i said red hammer, my sister too. and pen is not a tool. not in the traditional sense. a tool is hammer saw screwdriver ect..

once you know about the trick you cant be tested. your answer is void.

11. Oct 1, 2013 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's a spammy e-mail that's been circulating the internet for years.

12. Oct 1, 2013 #11
    its not spammy since it worked for me and everyone else i tried it on. red hammer is the answer every single time.

13. Oct 2, 2013 #12

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This is stupid. Thread closed because of unscientific claims.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook