Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numbering in MS Word.

1. Dec 23, 2011 #1
    I have the 2003 Word. I don't know how to start a new paragraph under numbering without getting a new number.

For example I set up using numbering for each paragraph so I start with 1). Every time I hit return, it will start a new paragraph and with 2) on it. I want to start a new paragraph under 1) without automatically increment to 2) every time a want to start a new paragraph. But at the same time, I want to maintain the numbering in the document.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

Alan

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In which case you want to number the sections, not the paragraphs.

Number the section headings would work best - and you can have as many paragraphs in a section as you like. If you want to have a particular passage numbered as well - either use a subsection (minor heading) or put a reference in the margin.

Note: you'll find everyone uses LaTeX instead. It's not just for math.

4. Dec 23, 2011 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Perhaps Shift+Return?

This starts a new paragraph within a numbered item.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  5. Dec 23, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Can't you just hit delete? If I'm imagining what you're saying, doesn't deleting it stop the numbering?

6. Dec 23, 2011 #5
    You make my day!! Thanks

Merry Christmas

Alan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook