Numbering the Rationals for Convergence: A Guide for Infinite Sum Calculation

• Thread starter lukepeterpaul
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for numbering the rationals in order to create an infinite sum that converges. One method involves breaking up the sequence into blocks and finding an upper bound for the sum. The conversation also addresses the possibility of the sum existing if the x_n's are all distinct and if the sum over |x_n-x_{n+1}| exists. Additionally, the conversation touches on whether the sum of real x_n's converges and if the sum of (x_n)^3 necessarily converges.
lukepeterpaul
hi, i would be very grateful if someone could start me off me in the right direction in numbering the rationals such that the infinite sum of (x_n - x_n+1)^2 (where x_n are rationals) converges.
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you be more specific? This alone is not an infinite sum:
[tex](x_n-x_{n+1})^2[/tex]

Is it one of the terms in the sum? What exactly does the sum look like? Is there a relation between xn and xn-1 and xn-2 etc?
Is x1 (Or eventually x0) described in any way?

Could you describe the problem more detailed?

[tex]\sum(x_n - x_n+1)^2[/tex] over n, where n ranges from 1 to infinity
this is all the info I've got...

lukepeterpaul said:
[tex]\sum(x_n - x_n+1)^2[/tex] over n, where n ranges from 1 to infinity
this is all the info I've got...
I think you mean [tex]\sum (x_n-x_{n+1})^2[/tex].

If repeats are allowed, try breaking up the sequence into a number of blocks where for the kth block the difference between successive terms is small, say 1/k^4. Say block 1 goes from 0 to 1, block 2 goes from 1 to -2, block 3 goes from -2 to 3, etc (so the sequence is 0,1,1-1/16,1-2/16,...,-2,-2+1/81,...; the contribution of the kth block to the sum of squares is (2k-1)*k^4/k^8 so the overall sum converges (and every rational is visited infinitely often).

lukepeterpaul said:
hi, i would be very grateful if someone could start me off me in the right direction in numbering the rationals such that the infinite sum of (x_n - x_n+1)^2 (where x_n are rationals) converges.
thanks!

Ok, here is my idea: Take any ordering of the rationals y_1,y_2,... You can recursively weed out duplicates, so we assume this.

If you just want a tip: Try to cut up each interval [tex](y_n,y_{n+1})[/tex] with increasingly fine intervals in an appropriate way, and extend the ordering with the cut points between the y_n's, and find an upper bound of the sum. And don't read further.

If you are stuck:
For each n: If [tex]y_n<y_{n+1}[/tex], define [tex]z_{kn}=y_n+2^{-n}\sum^k_{i=1}\frac{1}{i}[/tex], for k ranging from 1 to the smallest K_n such that [tex]y_{n+1}-z_{K_nn} \leq 2^{-n}[/tex], K_n exists since [tex]\sum^{N}_{i=1}\frac{1}{i}[/tex] grows without bound, and [tex]z_{k+1n}-z_{kn} \leq 2^{-n}[/tex]. If [tex]y_n>y_{n+1}[/tex], then do the same by switching the plus-sign to a minus-sign in from of the [tex]2^{-n}[/tex]*etc when defining [tex]z_{kn}[/tex]. What we are doing is chopping up the interval [tex](y_n,y_{n+1})[/tex] into small parts by the [tex]z_{kn}[/tex]'s.

Now define [tex]x_1 = y_1, x_2 = z_{11},x_2=z_{21}, ..., x_{K_n+1}=z_{K_n1},x_{K_n+2}=y_2, x_{K_n+3}=z_{12}[/tex], and so on. We are enumerating the rationals by picking each [tex]y_n[/tex] and then each consecutive [tex]z_{kn}[/tex] until we reach the last, then continuing similarly with [tex]y_{n+1}[/tex].

Now, find (an upper bound of) the sum!

Last edited:
Some interesting follow-up questions:

Can the sum exist if the x_n's are all distinct?
Can the sum over |x_n-x_{n+1}| exist (distinct or not)?

Last edited:
The sum can not converge as I've understood the problem. If you include the integers then there will be an infinite number of terms which are greater than or equal to one and the series can't converge. Do you mean the rationals in (0,1) or something like that?

dimitri151 said:
The sum can not converge as I've understood the problem. If you include the integers then there will be an infinite number of terms which are greater than or equal to one and the series can't converge. Do you mean the rationals in (0,1) or something like that?

This is wrong, you could order the rational in such a way that the sum converges. Try to sum up the rationals ordered as I have defined.

I might as well post my saved calculations which I decided to hold. It seems OP is no longer here and it might be interesting for others.

Using the previous definition of x_n :
[tex]\sum_n(x_n-x_{n+1})^2 = \sum_n (y_n-z_{1n})^2+\left( \sum_{k=1}^{K_n-1}(z_{kn}-z_{k+1n})^2 \right) +(z_{K_nn}-y_{n+1})^2[/tex]
[tex]\leq \sum_n (2^{-n})^2+\left( \sum_{k=1}^{K_n-1}(\frac{2^{-n}}{k+1})^2 \right) +(2^{-n})^2=\sum_n 2^{-2n+1}+2^{-2n}\sum_{k=1}^{K_n-1}\frac{1}{(k+1)^2}[/tex]
[tex]\leq \sum_n 2^{-2n+1}+2^{-2n}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(k+1)^2} = \sum_n 2^{-2n+1}+2^{-2n}(\frac{\pi^2}{6}-1)[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_n 2^{-2n}(\frac{\pi^2}{6}+1) \\ =\frac{\frac{\pi^2}{6}+1}{1-2^{-2}}=\frac{2\frac{\pi^2}{3}+4}{5}[/tex]

jarle, thanks for your solution. however, would i be right in thinking that the proposed way of enumerating the rationals does not cover all the rationals? e.g. y1+1/1000, say, won't be included...? i apologize if I'm mistaken...

lukepeterpaul said:
jarle, thanks for your solution. however, would i be right in thinking that the proposed way of enumerating the rationals does not cover all the rationals? e.g. y1+1/1000, say, won't be included...? i apologize if I'm mistaken...

By assumption y_1,y_2, ... is a numeration of the rationals, which can be defined in various ways. The most common one I believe is considering every integer lattice point in the plane. Since x_1,x_2,... contains y_1,y_2,... by construction, the sequence will contain y_1+1/1000 (there is an N such that y_N=y_1+1/1000), and any other rational number.

(I spot a slight typo while I was defining the sequence x_1,x_2,... Of course I mean K_1 where I wrote K_n)

Last edited:
ah, so double counting is allowed
thanks again, that is very helpful
i've got another question: "given that sum x_n converges, where x_n are real, does sum (x_n)^3 necessarily converge?
my gut feeling is "no" when considering conditional convergent series. it may be that the cubing can increase the ratio of consecutive "groups of terms" (ie the terms in the series we consider as one during the ratio test) s.t. the series is no longer convergent.
m i right?
if so, how might i go about constructing an example?
thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence"?

The purpose of "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence" is to provide a systematic way to order and manipulate rational numbers in order to calculate the convergence of infinite sums. This can be particularly useful in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How does "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence" differ from traditional methods of calculating infinite sums?

Traditional methods of calculating infinite sums often involve approximations and estimations, which can lead to errors and imprecise results. "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence" offers a more precise and systematic approach by assigning a unique index to each rational number, allowing for more accurate calculations and comparisons.

3. Can "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence" be applied to all types of infinite sums?

Yes, "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence" can be applied to all types of infinite sums, including both convergent and divergent series. It provides a general framework for organizing and evaluating rational numbers, making it applicable to a wide range of infinite sums.

4. Is prior knowledge of advanced mathematics required to understand "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence"?

No, prior knowledge of advanced mathematics is not required to understand "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence". While some familiarity with rational numbers and basic algebra may be helpful, the guide is designed to be accessible to a wide range of readers, including students and professionals in various fields.

5. Are there any real-life applications for "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence"?

Yes, "Numbering the Rationals for Convergence" has many real-life applications. It can be used in fields such as finance, where infinite sums are used to calculate interest and investment returns. It can also be applied in physics and engineering, where infinite series are often used to model and solve complex problems.