1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical analysis confusion

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    I'm having trouble with a sample exam question. I don't really understand the question, don't know what section of the book it relates to, and don't have any idea on how to solve it. I might be in trouble :)

Can anyone provide any suggestions or guidance on how I might go about solving this problem? Again, I'm not even really sure what's being asked.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that [tex] L = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} f(h)[/tex]
    and [tex] L -f(h) = c_6 h^6 + c_9 h^9 + \cdots [/tex]

Find a combination of f(h) and f(h/2) that is a much better estimate of L

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, if [itex] L -f(h) = c_6 h^6 + c_9 h^9 + \ldots[/itex] , then surely you can say that [itex]f(h) =L-( c_6 h^6 + c_9 h^9 + \ldots)[/itex] right?....What does that make [itex]f(h/2)[/itex]?....Basically you want to use this to find some linear combination of f(h) and f(h/2) that is closer to L than f(h) is.

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    thanks for your reply. Let's see if I understand

if [tex] f(h) = L - c_6 h^6 - c_9 h^9 - \cdots [/tex]
    and [tex] f(\frac{h}{2}) = L - \frac{c_6 h^6}{64} - \frac{c_9 h^9}{512}[/tex]

what I'm trying to find is [tex] a_0, a_1 [/tex] such that [tex] a_0 f(h) + a_1 f(\frac{h}{2}) \approx L [/tex]. Is that right?

I'm still somewhat confused as to what this problem relates to, ie what methods have we studied would this problem apply to

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're not even looking for something this restrictive, you just want [itex] a_0 f(h) + a_1 f(\frac{h}{2})[/itex]
    to be closer to L than f(h) was....so as long as [itex] a_0 f(h) + a_1 f(\frac{h}{2})-L< c_6 h^6 +c_9 h^9 + \cdots [/itex], then it is mission accomplished. ...what happens if you take [itex]a_0=1[/itex] and [itex]a_1=-2^6[/itex]?

I'm not sure what methods you've studied :tongue:, but I think this is basically the beginning of an algorithm to numerically approximate the limit L.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?