1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical analysis homework

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    Sorry, but this is the only subject I could not pass even if I gave it my all every day and night of the semester. And I will still surely fail this subject, but as a last resort I will try to post my problem here, hoping to get solution and maybe an explanation. Sorry if some of the phrasing might be confusing, I'm merely translating from my native language.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Differential operator L ir approximated with a positively defined difference operator [itex]\Lambda[/itex]>0, that has a full special-function (λ) and special-value set and 0<λmin<λ<λmax. Explore the numerical stability in relation to the initial conditions s and right-hand side function w of the following difference schemes:
    [itex]\frac{y^{n+1}_{i}-y^{n}_{i}}{\tau}[/itex]-k[itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]\frac{y^{n+1}_{i}-y^{n}_{i}}{2}[/itex]=[itex]w^{n}_{i}[/itex]; [itex]y^{0}_{i}[/itex]=[itex]s_{i}[/itex]
    if k - a given constant and w - a given function of the grid.

2. Relevant equations
    Any basic explanations as to what is what will do as I am extreemly clueless in this entire ordeal.
    I will take any help I can get if anybody is willing.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I haven't had one yet and based on previous experience in this subject, all my attempts would be very, very futile and very, very wrong.

Edit: To further testiment my cluelessness of this subject, I have the urging suspicion I have posted this in the wrong forum category.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2013 #2
    May I bump this question? Cause I need some help of any kind...

4. Dec 8, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you not know the basic definitions? In particular, what is the specific definition of "numerical stability in relation to the initial conditions"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted