Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    Hello---

I am reading a paper which describes a somewhat-unfamiliar mathematical procedure. The paper asks for a 2D spectrum [tex]U(t, \omega)[/tex] of a signal [tex]s(t)[/tex] which is calculated using the short-time Fourier transform (Gabor transform). This is reasonably straight-forward.

However, the paper then asks for the 2D spectrum [tex]U(t, \omega)[/tex] to be collapsed into a 1D spectrum [tex]U(t * \omega) = U(\chi)[/tex], where [tex]\chi = t * \omega[/tex].

In the above, [tex]t[/tex] is the time and [tex]\omega = 2 \pi f[/tex] is the angular frequency.

Apparently the 2D spectrum needs to be converted into a 1D spectrum by integration along constant [tex]\chi[/tex].

To me, this appears to be a form of line integral, evaluated numerically.

I can't find a good reference on how to do this, and I don't really know what is meant by integration along constant [tex]\chi[/tex]. Perhaps this means "averaging along constant chi"?

I've tried to simply multiply each element in the rows of [tex]U(t, \omega)[/tex] with each element in the columns of [tex]U(t, \omega)[/tex] using two nested for loops, but a plot of the resulting 1D spectrum "jumps around."

The paper says that the 1D spectrum will decrease monotonically along the [tex]\chi[/tex] axis, and the figures in the paper clearly show this monotonic decrease.

Has anyone seen anything similar, or would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted