Numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum

In summary, the conversation involves a person trying to understand how to convert a 2D spectrum into a 1D spectrum using integration along the constant \chi axis. The paper describes this process as finding the area under the curve at different values of \chi or averaging along constant \chi. The speaker suggests using numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to accurately convert the spectrum. They also offer to provide further guidance if needed.
nkinar
Hello---

I am reading a paper which describes a somewhat-unfamiliar mathematical procedure. The paper asks for a 2D spectrum [tex]U(t, \omega)[/tex] of a signal [tex]s(t)[/tex] which is calculated using the short-time Fourier transform (Gabor transform). This is reasonably straight-forward.

However, the paper then asks for the 2D spectrum [tex]U(t, \omega)[/tex] to be collapsed into a 1D spectrum [tex]U(t * \omega) = U(\chi)[/tex], where [tex]\chi = t * \omega[/tex].

In the above, [tex]t[/tex] is the time and [tex]\omega = 2 \pi f[/tex] is the angular frequency.

Apparently the 2D spectrum needs to be converted into a 1D spectrum by integration along constant [tex]\chi[/tex].

To me, this appears to be a form of line integral, evaluated numerically.

I can't find a good reference on how to do this, and I don't really know what is meant by integration along constant [tex]\chi[/tex]. Perhaps this means "averaging along constant chi"?

I've tried to simply multiply each element in the rows of [tex]U(t, \omega)[/tex] with each element in the columns of [tex]U(t, \omega)[/tex] using two nested for loops, but a plot of the resulting 1D spectrum "jumps around."

The paper says that the 1D spectrum will decrease monotonically along the [tex]\chi[/tex] axis, and the figures in the paper clearly show this monotonic decrease.

Has anyone seen anything similar, or would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question with the forum. It sounds like you are working with a complex mathematical procedure and are having trouble understanding how to convert the 2D spectrum into a 1D spectrum. I understand your confusion and would be happy to offer some guidance.

First, let's clarify what is meant by "integration along constant \chi." In this context, integration means finding the area under a curve. So, when the paper mentions integrating along constant \chi, it is referring to finding the area under the curve at different values of \chi.

To convert the 2D spectrum into a 1D spectrum, you will need to integrate along the \chi axis. This means taking the values at each point along the \chi axis and finding the area under the curve. This process can also be thought of as averaging along constant \chi, as you suggested.

In terms of implementation, there are a few different methods you could use to integrate along the \chi axis. One approach would be to use the trapezoidal rule, where you divide the \chi axis into small sections and approximate the area under the curve in each section. Another option would be to use a numerical integration method, such as Simpson's rule or Gaussian quadrature.

It's possible that the nested for loop approach you tried previously was not accurate enough, resulting in the "jumpy" 1D spectrum. I would recommend trying one of the numerical integration methods mentioned above to see if that produces a smoother and more accurate 1D spectrum.

I hope this helps to clarify the process of converting the 2D spectrum into a 1D spectrum. If you have any further questions or need more guidance, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your research!

1. What is numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum?

Numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum is a technique used in mathematics and physics to approximate the definite integral of a function when the spectrum of the function is either constant or collapsing.

2. How does numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum differ from other integration techniques?

Numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum differs from other integration techniques in that it is specifically designed for functions with constant or collapsing spectra, which cannot be accurately integrated using traditional methods.

3. What is the purpose of using numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum?

The purpose of using numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum is to obtain an accurate approximation of the definite integral of a function with a constant or collapsing spectrum, which cannot be calculated using traditional integration techniques.

4. What are some real-world applications of numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum?

Numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to approximate integrals of functions with constant or collapsing spectra. It is particularly useful in situations where traditional integration methods fail to produce accurate results.

5. Can numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum be used for functions with non-constant spectra?

No, numerical integration along constant and collapsing spectrum is specifically designed for functions with constant or collapsing spectra. For functions with non-constant spectra, other numerical integration techniques should be used.