1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical integrations

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    Let f(x^2) be a polynomial. I would like to carry out the integration

\int_a^b f(x^2) dx

using quadrature rule. Suppose a and b > 0 and are arbitrary and the degree of f(x^2) is 2N.

I would like to know if there is a possibility to reduce the sampling points down to N/2?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which quadrature rule? There are several to chose from ...

4. Sep 23, 2014 #3
    Yes. This is an open question.

The integration of the polynomial f(x^2) can be computed accurately up to machine precision using the quadrature rule. For example, using the Gauss-Legendre rule, we need approximately N sampling points.

My question is that if we can reduce the number of the sampling point further by a factor of 2 or not, since f(y) is the polynomial too, where y=x^2.

In another word, I wonder if there is a way to change variable, x, S.T., the integration is reduced to degree N with different weight function and can be carried out accurately using the Gauss integration.

Also notice that there are several special cases, one can do it. If a=0, we can map this integration into Gauss-Jacobi system, where alpha = -1/2 and beta = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook