1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical methods/algorithms

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    Maybe I missed the numerical methods books in the textbook forum? But I'd like a few suggestions on good texts that are descriptive in implementing numerical algorithms like root-finding, numerical integration, numerical interpolation, etc. I was about to buy Numerical Recipes

But I noticed in the comments that the algorithms are copyrighted.. so it's straight-up illegal to use that book in practice. There's hundreds of numerical methods books on amazon, can someone suggest one that they found useful? I have my undergrad book, which is TOO undergrad. I also have many books on FEM and numerical linear algebra, so I'm looking for one that covers a more general swath of topics. It must give detailed theory of stability, convergence, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2013 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have the first edition of Stoer and Bulirsch. It's not the easiest book to read because it assumes some mathematical sophistication, but it does motivate the math results before discussing solution approaches and their properties and behaviors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook