1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical Methods book

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1

Zem

I am a geology major interested in groundwater modeling. Currently taking ordinary differential equations, and I'll be in a computational numerical methods course for engineers next fall. Here is the course description..

"Introduction to numerical methods for environmental engineering analysis, design and resource management using the Fortran 95 programming language."

I know Fortran, so I think the next thing I need is to learn numerical methods. Some of the material for this course involves error analysis with bounds, and the Runge-Kutta method.

Does anyone know of a good book that would introduce me to numerical methods?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Numerical Recipes in C is available online in its entirety here:

http://www.nr.com

- Warren

4. Apr 18, 2006 #3
    Current books only re-use methods of classics'. School library would be my choice if I were you.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  5. Apr 19, 2006 #4

Zem

I'd like to get the text for the class from the library, but it's checked out. Nr.com is awesome, exactly what I think I need. Thanks!

6. Apr 21, 2006 #5

J77

Those online versions of NR don't have the source code with them though - is there a resource for this on the net, or would that break copyright...

7. Apr 21, 2006 #6
    Numerical analysis in Guam is for 3th year students. very simple on file reading, into matrix, calculate average, solve simple differnteal equation (dy=x^2dx), Newton/RKutta.

So reading thatlinks is enough understan calculating

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  8. Apr 21, 2006 #7
    we are teached topology, and number theory, then progam with number theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?