Best Books for Learning Numerical Methods in C?

In summary, if you are looking for a book on numerical methods in C, consider checking out "Numerical Recipes in C" or "Numerical Recipes in C++". Both books cover a range of topics and provide explanations and code examples. However, be aware that the earlier editions may contain code that is not idiomatic for C. Other resources to consider are the libraries BLAS, LAPACK, and LINPACK, which offer solutions for linear equations and eigensolutions.
laymanhobbist
any suggestions for a nice book regarding numerical methods in c?

Technology news on Phys.org
looks like a nice book ..

i have read many books with many "numerical methods" ..
but all those books lacks real c statements that does the math

thanks for the suggestion ..

let me check if this book is available anywhere for download ...

Older versions are available on the site for free.

jhae2.718 said:
Older versions are available on the site for free.
Yeah, but they are more aptly called "Numerical Methods in C-tran"

D H said:
Yeah, but they are more aptly called "Numerical Methods in C-tran"

"The determined Real Programmer can write FORTRAN programs in any language."

jhae2.718 said:
"The determined Real Programmer can write FORTRAN programs in any language."
I'm not sure that's a good thing...:eek:

It could be COBOL...

i downloaded the book from library.nu

now i have to understand methods like bisection ..

then put those methods in c statements

tough thing...

laymanhobbist said:

tough thing...

How long have you been programming for?

other than "hello world" ? nothing

this is in our syllabus ..which is why i think i am going to loose my degree

I do recall a book (or series of books) that go under the title "Numerical Recipes in C". If it is at your library you may want to check it out.

D H said:
Yeah, but they are more aptly called "Numerical Methods in C-
tran"

chiro said:
I do recall a book (or series of books) that go under the title "Numerical Recipes in C". If it is at your library you may want to check it out.

Same book, but each edition gets longer.

IIRC, the code in the first edition was Fortran (and more like Fortran 66 than Fortran 95). In the early (now out of print but free online) editions, the Fortran code was machine-translated into other languages, so it doesn't look much like idiomatic C, Pascal, or whatever.

On the other hand, the explanations of the algorithms are good, and the code does actually work - which is better value for money than some "free" software on offer!

In the current (not-free) editions the code has been rewritten, "OOPified", etc.

laymanhobbist said:

tough thing...

I am not sure the numerical recipes covers it, but you might check out a number of libraries which are called -if I recollect correctly- BLAST, LAPACK, LINPACK, etc. A number of things you might want to implement might already have been solved.

BLAS (not BLAST) LAPACK and LINPACK are certainly "industry standard" libraries for solving linear equations and eigensolutions, but the NR books cover a much wider range of numerical analysis topics.

1. What are numerical methods in C?

Numerical methods in C are mathematical algorithms or procedures used to solve numerical problems, such as finding roots of equations, solving differential equations, or performing matrix operations. These methods are implemented in the C programming language for efficient and accurate computation.

2. Why are numerical methods important?

Numerical methods are important because they allow us to solve complex mathematical problems that cannot be solved analytically. They are also used to analyze and interpret data in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance.

3. What are some commonly used numerical methods in C?

Some commonly used numerical methods in C include the bisection method, Newton's method, the Runge-Kutta method, and Gaussian elimination. These methods can be applied to a wide range of problems and provide accurate solutions.

4. Are there any resources for learning numerical methods in C?

Yes, there are many books and online resources available for learning numerical methods in C. Some popular books include "Numerical Recipes in C" by William Press et al. and "Numerical Methods in C" by J.H. Wilkinson. Additionally, there are many tutorials and courses available online.

5. How do I choose the most appropriate numerical method for a given problem?

The most appropriate numerical method for a given problem depends on various factors such as the type of problem, the level of accuracy required, and the available resources. It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of different methods and choose the one that best suits the problem at hand.