1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical Modelling Project

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    I have an assigned project in Physics with numerical modeling, to which I am supposed to use Euler's method to approximate the velocity of a "mass sliding down a frictionless in the shape of a quarter circle of radius 2.00 m."

The assignment also states: "Do three trials: t = 0.2s, t = 0.02s, and t =
    0.002 s. Compare the predicted speed at the bottom for each case to the accepted value
    of 6.261 m/s."

I know how to use Euler's method to approximate the velocity as time changes, but I am not sure how to find the position, velocity, and acceleration at the first time. Also, I was given a formula for the acceleration at the first time, Ef(T0)/m or the sum of the forces of t0 divided by the mass, but I am not sure how to use this formula.

The problem also states: "Assume it starts from rest" and "Hint: Define the position and acceleration of the mass in terms of the angle."

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. I can also post the actual assignment as a .pdf or word file if further clarification is necessary.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    I figured out the entire solution to this crazy problem. I'll post it to let you guys look at it tomorrow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook