1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical reasoning question

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Some tourists return to the same country several times in the same year. In 2000, it was noted that 80% of tourists made a single trip to the country, 15% came twice, and 5% came at least three times. How many individual tourists visited Italy in 2000.

(Table shows "Tourists statying at least one night when visiting Italy": 22 800 000.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

x = 22800000/(.8+2*.15+3*.05) = 18 240 000.

So I'd say there were up to 18 240 000 individual tourists. But the question, a multiple choice question, doesn't have anything close to this option. Am I overlooking something, or misinterpreting it? Could there be a typo?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you missing some information? How long is a once-a-year trip, on average? For example, last year I visited London just once, but stayed 7 nights.

RGV

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    That's all the information I have. It's a sample numeracy test question. It came in a list of them, and the others seem pretty straightforward, not brain-teasers, just testing basic skills.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook