Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Numerical reasoning question

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Some tourists return to the same country several times in the same year. In 2000, it was noted that 80% of tourists made a single trip to the country, 15% came twice, and 5% came at least three times. How many individual tourists visited Italy in 2000.

(Table shows "Tourists statying at least one night when visiting Italy": 22 800 000.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

x = 22800000/(.8+2*.15+3*.05) = 18 240 000.

So I'd say there were up to 18 240 000 individual tourists. But the question, a multiple choice question, doesn't have anything close to this option. Am I overlooking something, or misinterpreting it? Could there be a typo?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you missing some information? How long is a once-a-year trip, on average? For example, last year I visited London just once, but stayed 7 nights.

RGV

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    That's all the information I have. It's a sample numeracy test question. It came in a list of them, and the others seem pretty straightforward, not brain-teasers, just testing basic skills.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook