Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica Numerical Simulations

1. Dec 27, 2016 #1
    I'm very new to Mathematica/programming and I want to do a theoretical calculation using Mathematica,
    suppose I have,

##Y=CX,~~~C=constant##

Now, I want to plot Y vs. X but X should run at every point since every point is a solution for Y, how should I do this? Before, I was thinking maybe I could just give the domain (i.e. from 0 to 100 with interval 1) and then just let Mathematica do it, but I was wrong since Mathematica should calculate the value of Y for a certain X for one round then input another point then run again, etc.

Background:
    * I'm really a beginner, I can just do the basic stuff in Mathematica (arithmetic, calculus, etc)
    * Hands on start to mathematica (Wolfram website)
    * Mathematica: A Problem Centered Approach by Roozbeh Hazrat (https://www.amazon.com/Mathematica®...roach-Undergraduate-Mathematics/dp/1849962502)

I will appreciate any advice on how to continue in this situation.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With Mathematica's Plot command you need only specify the function to plot, the variable, and the variable's range. Mathematica will do the rest.

Plot[C X, {X,0,100}]

Of course, C will need to have a value for this to work.

4. Dec 27, 2016 #3
    Is the plot command also used by researchers when doing their theoretical simulation (assuming mathematica can)? Is it really that easy now? I thought it was a very tedious work.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  5. Dec 29, 2016 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

A simple plot should not need tedious work to be plotted, because nobody wants to waste essential time of their work trying to figure out how plotting a function works... it's not the tedious part of their work...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted