Numerical solution of SE for cylindrical well

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with applying the inverse Laplacian to the electron density in a cylindrical well simulation. Possible reasons for the issue were identified, such as errors in the numerical implementation, inaccurate assumptions, and the need for comparison with other studies. The importance of careful analysis and seeking feedback from experts was emphasized.
aaaa202
I am simulating electrons inside a cylindrical well like the one shown on the first figure.
My current work has been on solving the Schrodinger equation numerically for the above potential and then finding corrections to the solution such that it is consistent with Poissons equation.
To do so I need to apply the inverse Laplacian to the electron density as shown in figure 2, which will give me the correction to the potential profile (at least in the first iteration). The problem is however, that applying the inverse Laplacian to the electron density shown gives me a correction as shown on figure 3. As seen it makes sense that this is peaked around the origin, since the electron density is highest at this point. What however doesn't make sense, is that it curves upwards in one direction and doesn't go to zero in a spherically symmetric manner. Everything in my problem has circular symmetry, so I have no idea why it doesn't go to zero with circular symmetry. Does anyone have an idea why this can be? Is it a numerical problem? I doubt so since my mesh size is not very big.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 2.png
    2.png
    12 KB · Views: 391
  • 3.png
    3.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 329
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your work with us. It sounds like you are working on an interesting problem. Based on the information provided, it seems like the issue you are facing could be due to a few different reasons.

Firstly, it is possible that there may be some errors in your numerical implementation of the inverse Laplacian operation. This could be due to a variety of factors such as numerical precision, convergence criteria, or boundary conditions. I would suggest carefully reviewing your code and checking for any potential errors or inconsistencies.

Another possibility is that your initial assumptions or simplifications for the problem may not accurately reflect the physical system you are trying to model. It is important to carefully consider all the factors that could affect the behavior of the electrons in the cylindrical well, such as external forces, quantum effects, and boundary conditions.

Additionally, it would be helpful to compare your results with other theoretical or experimental studies on similar systems. This could provide valuable insights and help identify any potential discrepancies in your approach.

Overall, I would recommend thoroughly reviewing your methodology and assumptions, as well as seeking feedback and advice from other experts in the field. With careful analysis and consideration, I am sure you will be able to resolve the issue and continue making progress in your research.

Best of luck with your work.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation for a cylindrical well?

The Schrodinger equation for a cylindrical well is a variation of the standard Schrodinger equation that describes the motion of a quantum particle in a cylindrical potential well. It takes into account the radial symmetry of the well and can be written as:

HΨ(r,θ,z) = EΨ(r,θ,z)

where H is the Hamiltonian operator, Ψ is the wave function, r, θ, and z are the cylindrical coordinates, and E is the energy of the particle.

2. How do you solve the Schrodinger equation for a cylindrical well?

There are several numerical methods for solving the Schrodinger equation for a cylindrical well, including the finite difference method, the finite element method, and the variational method. These methods involve discretizing the Schrodinger equation and solving it iteratively to obtain an approximate solution.

3. What boundary conditions are used for solving the Schrodinger equation for a cylindrical well?

The boundary conditions for a cylindrical well are typically set at the edges of the well, where the wave function must go to zero. This represents the confinement of the particle within the well. Additionally, the wave function must be continuous and differentiable at the boundaries.

4. How is the energy of the particle determined from the numerical solution of the Schrodinger equation for a cylindrical well?

The energy of the particle is determined by finding the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian operator. In the numerical methods, this is done by diagonalizing the discretized Hamiltonian matrix. The lowest eigenvalue corresponds to the ground state energy of the particle.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the numerical solution of the Schrodinger equation for a cylindrical well?

The accuracy of the numerical solution can be affected by several factors, including the choice of numerical method, the size of the spatial grid, and the number of energy levels included in the calculation. Additionally, the accuracy may be limited by the computational resources available, as a higher resolution or larger system size may require more computing power.